Monday, December 04, 2006

Magnificat


I have to blog about my new favorite song we sing at church. It is called "Magnificat". The first time I saw the name, I thought it was a misspelling and they left out the n for mangnificent. But no, the name was correct. Then I started laughing because it reminded me of this STUPID musical (and I love, Love, LOVE, Musicals) that my Mom dragged my family to when I was in elementary school called "The Cat in the Castle" which I still make fun of to this day. So when it was time so sing the Magnificent Cat song at church, I was ready with eager anticipation. Now it is one of my favorite songs these days. Little did I know that in the Catholic church it is a known prayer and the "Magnificat" is one of the first ones they learn. It is the song that Mary sang when she visited with Elizabeth after finding out she was carrying the Lord. The main line of the song is this and it is a great way to cheer up a dreary Monday.

"My soul magnifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God, my savior."

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

This post and that picture just made me laugh out loud! I love Magnifi Cat! :-)

Marcia said...

I had almost the same exact thoughts when I first saw this song last year. Except I had to be very sure it wasn't a typo before I printed it in the order of worship for the weekend.
Its going to be even harder to sing it seriously now that I have the mental picture of your Magnifi Cat!

angie c said...

Ashley,
Sorry you've all been sick. Hope you're doing well now. Your baby is toooooo cute! I mean it. That face is adorable.

Alyssa said...

I wish that everyone in blogworld could see your "PURRRRR" face that you do so well :) I actually knew that Magnificat was a prayer...remember when I was 13 year old Mary with tons of eyeliner???? Good times....

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I love this song, too.

Anonymous said...

I just got a Christmas card in the mail with the sweetest family on it! I love it!!! I can't believe it's been over a year since I found you in the blogging world. You were very prego, and now here you are with an almost 1 year old!!! I hope you and your family have such a beautiful 1st Christmas together!!!! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I love that song! You should get the Zoe Group CD with that song on it (called In Christ Alone). They have a GREAT version of it. I love to sing along with it! With or without cats!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed