Saturday, August 25, 2007

Local Heroes



To my recollection, in my 200+ posts, I have never blogged about sports. I enjoy watching sports, but it is never a huge passion of mine. There are certain teams that I do keep up with, but none as faithfully as I have the past few weeks with a 12 year old Little League Team from Lubbock. They have taken our city captive with their sweet and enthusiastic interviews, great attitudes, and a reminder that dreams do come true.

The first night we moved into our new home back in May, our new next door neighbor, Taylor, was playing catch in the front yard. All summer we could find him right outside Carley's window with 2 other boys. Occasionally, I had to be the mean neighbor next door and ask them to not yell outside of her window after 10:00 pm and they were always so sweet about. ( I am sure they have a nickname for me though) In June Cody came home from the station and said that the guys at work were talking about our neighbor and a few other kids and that one day they would be famous. They even teased Cody saying that one day Taylor would be on ESPN and I would be bragging that I was the neighbor that told him to be quiet. We had no idea that would be just two months away.

It has been so fun to watch this team from Lubbock make it to the finals of the Little League World Series. They just lost in the finals today after a great season. One of the boys goes to our church and 5 of them go to Frenship. Two of the moms teach in Frenship and another mom has the same job I have in FISD in Lubbock. All of the boys are sweet and humble and so darn excited. It has been really neat.

At our district convocation the 5 Frenship boys spoke to us from Williamsport. They wished us a good year and said thanks for making their dreams come true. They were so funny talking about how they had been together for a long time, since they were 10 (they are all 12), and they knew they would be friends for life. One boy said that he had dreamed of this moment since the day he was born. Their perspective on lifelong friendships and dreams really made me smile. It is funny how our view of time changes as we get older and our dreams change too.

Congrats to these sweet boys and their families. I pray that my child has dreams that come true too.

Please continue to pray for Travis, Kelly, and Bennett Speck in my previous post. They need a dream to come true right now in a very big way.

4 comments:

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

We watched the game today and were so bummed they lost! But what a great run they made, and what an experience I'm sure they had. The team they played (from Warner Robins, GA) is where Justin and Lindsay live and the town is smaller than Lubbock. Small world, huh?!

Anonymous said...

I have loved watching the boys play. I can't wait for the parade! This has been such a neat experience. I am also excited to know that "Taylor" lives behind us! :)

I will be thinking of you tomorrow! Love you.

Robby and Lynsey said...

It was fun cheering for them so far away. And quite ironic that they played Lake Oswego (I used to work there a couple of years ago) in the semi-finals. So fun that you have connections to so many of them! ;)

kunami10 said...

I know...I watched it too! Which is not something I normally do. Two of the boys took karate from us and Ty was in love with Bo at the tender age of 7! :-) Bryndan's mom, Holly, is the PE aide at Bennett and was there when I worked at Casey, so it was really fun to watch them.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed