Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Praying a Smile Can Make a Difference

This past weekend a friend of Cody's from EMS committed suicide. He was 39. He and his wife had been having a few marital problems and they were separating for the time being. He had 3 kids. Last week he changed the song on his My Space to "Amazing Grace" and his phrase to "Things are hard right now. Don't give up. I'll keep praying". Matt shot himself on Saturday afternoon. Cody is honor guard at his funeral on Thursday.

Last night on NBC Nightly News Brian Williams said that the last week in January has the highest rate of suicide. He said that the holidays are over, bills are in, the weather is grim, and that people are the least motivated at all. Brian said they best thing we can do to combat depression is to smile at every one we meet.

Of course, I know that knowing you are loved by Jesus is the only way to combat depression. I know that knowing your time on Earth is temporary and that one day soon we will all be called home is what gets me through the hard days. That being said, January has been a crappy month for us and sometimes my countenance reflects that too much. I get caught up in the things of this world, the things I want and don't have, the things I think I need to be happy, and I mope around all day thinking about myself.

I am going to make a true effort for the last 7 days of January to smile. I am going to try and be patient in the check out line of Walmart. I am going to give grace to the teachers running late to school. I am going to try and radiate the true joy that is in my heart and try to smile at those I meet. Let's smile our ways through a hard week for many people.

12 comments:

Carissa said...

What a sad, sad story! I will make sure to smile as much as possible!

summer said...

I am so sorry to hear about Cody's friend. And I hate that it's been a rough month for you. Know you're loved and thought of often. We'll be heading your way in a couple weeks, so I'll look forward to catching up with you and seeing that beautiful smile of yours.

Amy said...

We need to grab some hot chocolate this week. :)

Jennifer K said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. This month has been rough. It seems like there is so much tragedy all around us. It's hard. Or at least I am having a hard time with it all. I am taking on your challenge and will try and smile through it all! You never know whos day it might make.

We need to walk soon. I know its a little cold but we could walk around the living room while the girls played? :)

Caroline said...

I'm so sorry about Cody's friend. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you this month (or anytime). We should get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! You are such an inspiration! Love you!

Alyssa said...

I am sending you smiles from Keller... love you!

Nicole said...

So sorry about his co-worker. But Amen to the post! I love it. :) :) :)

annalee said...

what honest thoughts you have shared. i appreciate your genuineness and positiveness.

Kelli Marchbanks said...

You are so right Ashley! Sorry to hear about Cody's friend.

Erica said...

I am so sorry to hear about Cody's friend and the precious family that he left behind. I heard that a man here pulled over on the side of the road and killed himself the other day due to being overwhelmed with life. That is so frightening. You will all be in our prayers along with the family left behind.

I am definitely going to make it more of a point to smile when I see people. Thank you for the reminder and your sweet heart. Love ya!

Phillips Family said...

Amen!

Great lesson, dear friend. I am deeply saddened by the loss of life and will be keeping his family in my prayers. Thank you for this post!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed