Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A long night

Yesterday afternoon (Monday) there was a large fire. Actually it was a huge fire. A propane gas plant caught fire a little before 4:00 pm. Cody was on duty and his truck was called in to help. In fact 80% of the firemen in town were called in. Cody's truck was the first to actually fight the fire. (The first two trucks were called to start evacuating all homes and businesses within a 1/2 mile radius) I am having trouble getting my thoughts together to type this, so be patient as you read in case I jump around. There were a lot of propane tanks there and then several huge tanks. The truck Cody was on had the mission of trying to stop two 18,000 gallon tanks from exploding. If they exploded, the damage would have destroyed a mile radius. There were hundreds of homes in the area and hundreds of cars driving on the interstate (which was about 1/4 mile from the plant) during 5:00 traffic. Numerous 5 gallon propane tanks (like the ones on your grill) were popping like fireworks in the air. Pieces were found up to 3/4 of a mile away from the plant. The nearby businesses caught on fire as well as several cars in parking lots and various other landscape.

Cody was supposed to get off work at 6:00 pm. He borrowed someone's phone to call me at 6:20 and told me that they were not being released because the rest of the city was in danger. If 80% of the firemen and first responders were at the fire, then the city was left open and they needed the ones coming on duty to help run calls in the city. (They go on medical calls as well as fire calls). He couldn't come home until the fires were completely out.

What do you say when your husband says he has to stay on duty to help save hundreds of lives?
Three trucks pumped water on the two tanks 18,000 gallon tanks for about 8 hours. The big tanks never caught on fire although at one point one side was covered in fire and melted all the paint and warped the metal. They got it out in time. Like I said, if it would have gone off, hundreds of homes, cars, and lives would have been lost, including Cody's.

Cody called me a little before midnight. (I hadn't heard from him since 6:20) and told me he was on his way back to the station and that he was safe, the fires were out, and it was all over. They spent 1 1/2 more hours putting the truck back together. Cody finally came home about 2:30. I fell asleep hugging him tighter than I ever had before.

I don't really know what to say or how to finish this. You know I am a drama queen so you may question some of the details about last night. Read the articles. It was on CNN and lots of other news stations. Sadly, I am completely serious about this and the details.

Cody is a hero.

I held Carley the whole time Cody was gone and I spent lots of time thinking about God's faithfulness. Cody does his job because he feels like God has called him to this work. If you know Cody, you know he is so good at helping people. All I can say is that I saw God's faithfulness last night. Noone was seriously injured. Everyone went home. Honestly, if the story ended differently, I hope I would still say I saw God's faithfulness. My faith is weak and I am not sure how I would react. I hope I never find out.

16 comments:

Alyssa said...

We are all so glad that Cody is okay and stayed safe. What a scary night for you and Carley! Sometimes I forget what a dangerous job Cody has- and I am reminded what a hero he is each and everyday :)

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Cody is a hero. And I am thankful we have guys like him saving people and fighting fires!! My dad is a volunteer fire fighter and has seen and been through many scary things. I remember being scared for him many times growing up, but it's comforting to know that there are heros out there and people who truly care!

Erica said...

Cody is definitely a hero daily by just being willing to do the job that he does each day. I truly believe it has to be a calling from God because I could not imagine doing it. You are a hero too becasue you are his Godly, loving, and supportive wife. It is so comforting to know their are so many like him who love their jobs and save many lives. Please tell him "Thank You" from us and God bless for all the hard work and dedication. Also give Carley a squeeze from us:)

Amy said...

Cody was definitely in our thoughts yesterday as we heard about the fire and saw how bad it was. I'm so glad everything turned out ok. You are both very brave!

Kristen OQ said...

Alyssa called and told me about this already, so I had been watching your blog waiting to hear about it from you. What a scary night for you and Carley. I am glad that all turned out great and no one was hurt badly. We are thankful that there are heros out there that keep us safe everyday! Sam is very interested in being a fireman right now...I am not sure if his mother's nerves could handle that!

Spruce said...

God bless men and women like Cody who work so hard to help so many. I know he stands in places that I would never have the guts for. But, also may God bless the men, women and children who wait for those heroes at home. I thank God that Cody is okay and that you and Carley made it through that stressful time well.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Oh, Ashley! I can't even imagine what it was like to be in your shoes last night. Much less, to imagine being in Cody's. You are both such wonderful examples of serving others and putting yourselves last! I am thanking God right now that everything turned out the way it did. That is just an unbelievable story. And, you're right. God is using Cody in many ways, and He is protecting him as well. We love your whole family!

Unknown said...

Bless all your hearts- I am so thankful everything turned out ok for everyone involved.

April Carrasco said...

I think I would be a mental case if I was married to a fireman. You are the perfect wife for it! Of course we are glad Cody is safe and sound too.

Robby and Lynsey said...

Oh Ashley, we love you and Cody and Carley so much! I'm so sorry you guys had such a rough night. Blessings upon each of you as you continue to serve people! I am so glad everything turned out okay.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! What a hero! As I was reading this, it just seemed surreal. You are also a hero for being so supportive of his "calling." I'm so glad that noone was seriously injured.

Jacinda said...

so glad he is okay!

Phillips Family said...

WOW! Aren't we all thankful for dedicated firefighters like Cody who are willing to put so much on the line for our safety.

I am so glad everything is fine and everyone is okay!

Unknown said...

What a stressful night for both you and Cody! I am so glad that he is safe and that they were successful in stopping the tanks from exploding. I think that a lot of times we take for granted those who choose to protect us for a living and forget how dangerous their jobs are. I am happy that Cody is safe at home with his precious little family!

Carolyn said...

I am so thankful for Cody and others like him that work in dangerous situations to help save lives. Our world would be turned upside down without them. It's such a blessing that no one was hurt, and you two are both heroes to me!

Katie said...

it's like the words of the psalmist (that we get to sing today)

"Blessed be the Lord, who would not give us up. ... Our help is in the name of the Lord, Blessed be the Lord."

I'm so glad he was protecting you and Cody!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed