Saturday, April 08, 2006

Happy Birthday, Alyssa

Today is my sister's birthday. Since she is in the hospital recovering from having Camryn, I can post whatever I want since she can't read it. So, here are Alyssa's most embarrassing moments! Just Kidding. Here are a few things I love about my sister! Happy Birthday!

1. Alyssa chooses nicknames that stick. Growing up she named the trees, our sprinkler, every stuffed animal and doll, and she gave me a nickname too. All of those stuck! Most of her friends have nicknames that she gave them and I am still called "Cee" to my family which is a derivative of an embarrassing nickname Alyssa gave me in the 3rd grade.

2. Random and funny things always happen to Alyssa. She has the most hilarious stories of anyone I know. The closet story is my favorite, but there are a million I could choose from.

3. Alyssa is a really good friend and she keeps friends for a long time. She has been in more weddings than anyone I know. She has friends (other than me) that she has know for 25-30 years! She is a really good listener, very genuine, can keep a secret, and is always up for good, clean fun. I am still reaping the blessings of Alyssa's ability to be a good friend because several people out there in blog land are people I consider friends even though they really are Alyssa's.

4. Alyssa loves events and parties. My dad used to joke that when Alyssa was single she was the event planner for the metroplex. That girl loves to get people together and always makes it fun. She LOVES holidays and always makes them fun with parties and games.

5. She is a great mom. Lauren is so smart, polite, talkative, and hilarious and I attribute most of that to Alyssa. She is so calm with Lauren and rarely looses her cool. (actually I have never seen her loose her cool) She has been a huge help to me into my journey into motherhood.

6. Alyssa is a great audience. Growing up she made me feel like I was the best entertainer in the world. She was always getting me to put on plays, sign songs, make up dances, and tell her stories. You can partially blame her for the nut I am today. Seriously, she has a gift of making people feel talented and important.

7. Alyssa is great with words. She is very eloquent and always seems to have the right words to say. She has a way of putting things into perspective and giving calm to storms. She is good at explaining things and helping people get on the same page.

8. Alyssa is very tender hearted. When we were little, she made a schedule of which stuffed animals got to sleep with her to make sure she didn't show favorites and that none of them got their feelings hurt. Seriously, who does that?

9. Alyssa loves teen movies and books. She loves all chick flicks and romance books as long as they aren't scary and have happy endings. She loves any kind of romance in tv shows (i.e. Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Ed, the Office) and gets incredibly excited when it looks like they are going to hook up.


Happy Birthday, Alyssa! I know this year has already started with a blessing named Camryn Grace and I pray the rest of the year is full of blessings as well! I love you!

8 comments:

Shanta said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Camyrn and Alyssa! What a way to start the year..much love to all of you!
The Murrays

Kristen OQ said...

I took some pictures at the hospital tonight -- they are on the flickr account. Seriously, you have one cute newborn niece!

And you have a sweet sister who I love and appreciate her friendship. You did a great job of listing all my favorite qualities in her too.

But I am wanting to know why you are called Cee!?!

Erica said...

You are so sweet to post such sweet things about Alyssa. I am sure the hardest part was picking the top things to write about. Alyssa is a rare jewel of a friend...I have a feeling you are the same way. She is always there and makes you feel like the most important person in the room when she is talking to you. She has such a devoted heart to the Lord too. The stuffed animal story made me smile because she still would never want to hurt anyone's feelings and would be destroyed if she did. I have loved her since our ACU days and was so glad when we reconnected in Dallas and got to know each other even better. You are both blessed to be sisters.

I too want to hear the Cee story so I suppose you will have to tell me when you are in Abilene sometime.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Ash, that was the sweetest sister post!! You captured who Alyssa is perfectly, and you're right---she has blessed each and every one of her friends in so many ways.

I know she will love getting to read that when she's home again. That was the best birthday present she could have asked for!

It was so fun to get to see your parents this weekend. I got the Carley update, which was fun! But, I sure missed getting to see you guys in person! We'll see you soon, I hope!

hollyfouts said...

What a great post about a wonderful sister. I love and admire many of these things about Alyssa too. I have never seen her loose her cool...I don't think I can say that about any other mom of a 2 1/2 year old.

I have enjoyed reading your blog for a while. It cracks me up!

Alyssa said...

That was such a sweet surprise to read when I came home!!! Thanks, Ash!!!! I hope that Lauren is as blessed as I have been to have such a sweet little sister. :)

Alyssa said...

Cee- very sweet blog about Alyssa. What's up with giving her credit for all of Lauren's good qualities???

love,
Clint

Ashley said...

Clint- Be Patient, my brother-in-law and in-love. July 1st is coming when I post the things I love about you. Lauren doesn't have any credit card debt, she likes to stay up late, she knows the Aggies, she loves church, and she likes to change clothes. I know where she got that! :)

As for the Cee story, that is a dark secret. Just know that it is precious when Lauren says it, but it did not start as precious.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed