Monday, April 16, 2007

Hug a Teacher and a Student

In public schools, this is THE week. It is TAKS time and you definitely know it. It amazes me how the test has changed and the rules have changed every year that I have been in education. This year is even more stringent than previous years, which blows my mind. This post isn't to be a commentary on TAKS, public education, standardized testing, or anything of the sort. Schools are what they are and testing is what it is. Right or wrong, it is the tool that government is using to measure education and provide accountability. Are there other ways to do this? Is this stressful on all parties involved? Yes to both. It accountability necessary? YES! So whether you love it or hate it, support your local teachers this week. You cannot fathom the changes this year and all the bits and pieces involved in testing. Tell teachers you appreciate the job they do. Tell kids you love them and find value you in them for a million different reasons, none of which are multiple choice. There are just weeks where the world seems more intense than others and this is one of those weeks.

Don't judge, criticize, give your two cents, cast blame or doubt, and most of all, don't minimize the reality teachers face by telling them that testing is "stupid". Like I said, for the time being, schools are what they are. In the midst of all the craziness, teachers are trying to find creative, energetic, interactive, supportive, varied, differentiated, ethical, fun, and educational ways to tell kids every day that they are here for them, they love them, and they want to prepare them academically, socially, and emotionally for a world that changes each day.

Hug a Teacher and Hug a Student.

I will get off of my soapbox now! :)

11 comments:

Cara said...

Thanks Ashley, I could not have said it better myself. I have to go to bed soon, so I can be well rested to "actively monitor" like I have never monitored before:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! Love you and all my teacher friends!

Jacinda said...

Very well said!

Jodi said...

Amen sister! I do NOT miss this week in teaching! But I do miss those kiddos and still love them!

Stephanie Torresi said...

Well said, Ashley. In Italy standardized tests do not exist. This has given me the opportunity to better think about the pros and cons of standardized testing. Although I do think that too much emphasis is placed on such tests in the US, as you said, there is definite need for accountability. A big hug to last you throughout this stressful week!

Robby and Lynsey said...

Sounds crazy! Best wishes this week to all of you wonderful people out there who take the time (and energy) to be a good teacher. Lord knows I don't have the patience or skill it takes. Even though I don't have kids, I'm grateful for teachers and their influences in kids' lives. Here's to sanity for all!

Cortni said...

AMEN!

Now a funny story...indicative of the amount of stress a 3rd grade teacher encounters are TAKS day...

Today I locked my Math tests up while we went to lunch, as any responsible educator would do. However, unlike a responsible educator...I could not find my cabinet keys for about 20-30 minutes after we returned from lunch. I was in tears because I could not get the tests out of the locked cabinet so my kids could finish testing. I had the assistant principal, the art teacher, the bilingual aide, and an inclusion aide in my room trying to break in to my cabinet. Lo and behold...I found them. "Where," you may ask. Well, of course, I put them in my desk drawer. ARGGGGHHHH. What a day!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Amen! So glad that your students have a teacher like you who above all else cares for them as an individual! Keep up the great work!

Shanta said...

Here's a hug!

Kelli Marchbanks said...

Best of luck this week! I remember those days and I feel for you and those kiddos!

kunami10 said...

Well said, my friend. Well, said.
Now we can all rejoice that this week is finally over (at least at the elementary level). :-)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed