Saturday, December 08, 2007

How many ladies did I want to go off on in the SPM play area?


What a blog title, right? By the way SPM means South Plains Mall, the Lubbock mall.

Friday after school, my good friend Jenn K and I decided to try and have a play date at the mall where we could catch up. We figured it would be a fun, safe place for the Elise and Carley to play and I was excited about holding sweet baby Zane. (who is so precious, by the way) Well, Jenn and I had quite a hilarious hour. First of all, it was packed. All these big kids were left there to play while their moms went shopping. Nice. Do these moms not watch the news? Hello, Amber Alerts? Well anyway, there is a small slide made out of a safari truck that is super easy for Carley and Elise to go down. There were these little kids all over it blocking the steps and laying on the slide and stuff. They would jump in front of our little one year olds and then lay down where the girls couldn't get by. Elise and Carley were getting confused and Carley kept yelling, "Take turns, Carley turn, Take turn". I thought these kids moms would do something, but they didn't so Jenn and I got up and started lining the kids up and getting them to take turns. (yes, I am bossy at play areas too) Jenn and I keep wondering what the mom of the kids is doing. Well, Jenn found her. As you can see in the picture, here she is taking a NAP in the mall in the middle of the day for the whole world to see. Really, is that the best place to nap. Luckily, her friend was diligently watching the kids as she breastfed and dosed off herself. Once again, is this the best place to do this at 3:30 in the afternoon?

So Jenn and I are cracking up and naptime girl and her wild kids. We sit back down and this lady comes up to us with really heavy make up on and says, "Do I know you?". Jenn says, "no". I start laughing and the lady sits down next to us telling us that we are the cutest moms in the mall and she wants to show us her makeup. She then begins a Mary Kay demo. I can't handle it and stand up and go check on the line at the slide that I had beautifully orchestrated. Jenn is stuck there while this lady keeps pulling out sample upon sample. I sat back down and she makes the comment again that we are the cutest moms in the mall.

Let me just say that I am a lot of things, but I never have, nor never will be, the cutest mom in the mall. Ever. After a long day of work my make up was almost 12 hours old and my hair was coming out of its pony tail. My adult acne was shining and the dark circles under my eyes did not contribute to my cuteness in any way. Jenn is a cute mom, but she is also a new mom of two kids two and under who do not sleep at the same time. She looks great, but we were both exhausted.


So, I look at the lady and said, "We are not the cutest moms in the mall." She looked at me, gave us a lipstick sample, and went to prey on another "cute mom" with the same line of, "Do I know you?"

So why do you take your kids to the play area of the mall? To leave them there while you shop? To have them occupied while you sell Mary Kay? To have them busy while you take a little nap?

I literally wanted to yell at all three moms, but instead, my devilish heart knew I would receive some satisfaction in blogging about them behind their back! :) I love the Internet.

19 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

that is funny! i can just see you lining up the kids then holding yourself together so you don't completly go off on the Mary Kay woman. It seems like these type of things happen only to you. :)

susan

Allison said...

I got a really good laugh out of that one. I know you must have been ONE OF THE CUTEST moms in that mall!!!

I know what you mean though....I have been sooo frustrated with so many people lately that are out and about.

Phillips Family said...

Hilarious!!! I love the SPM....we often visit it at Christmastime.

I get completely annoyed by slack parents at parks, mall playgrounds, and any other child magnet areas. It is quite difficult to impose such things as waiting one's turn, being kind, and sharing when other parents do not enforce it. The other day Isaac pushed a kid after that kid pushed him while the mom looked on with an absent stare. Tobe broke in with a gentle reminder of "no hitting." Well like a minute later the kid pushed Isaac again and again... and Tobe just encouraged Isaac to push right back.

Jodi said...

Oh, I LOOOOOOVE a good Ashley story! I could just hear you telling it!! :) Hilarious. In a "ha-ha" kind of way, and not. Seriously, NAPPING and SHOPPING while your kids are in the play area?!?! Wow. Wow wow wow.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud!

April Carrasco said...

That is hilarious! I also love the 12 and 13 year olds at the play area. Are you kidding me?!? We noticed kids playing while their moms shopped last time too. It must be a daily ritual. Thanks for the idea on where I can get a nap :)!!

Amy said...

HILARIOUS!! I've had some interesting experiences at that play area but nothing like that. My philosophy is that if you're not managing your kid and he/she infringes on me or my kid then I have the right to deal with the situation. If I ever see kids there unattended or who are too old to be there I'm calling mall security!

Jennifer K said...

What fun times we have together! And I must admit, I must have been pretty darn cute that day...I had a shower! :) At least I wasn't smelly. Have you used your sample??

Look at the lady breastfeeding, her kid is like 6!

Can't wait to see you again!

Denae said...

This cracks me up! I've only been to the mall "park" a couple of times and I've already had a weird experience. A lady randomly came up and started talking to my friend and me, which was fine...but then after the normal pleasantries, she continued to just stand there with nothing to say. None of us were talking. It was just a little awkward. I may have preferred her telling us that we were the cutest moms in the mall. :)

Unknown said...

Some parents are truly amazing! I have definitely had to remove Jackson from such play areas before due to my fear that the teenaged "kids" would trample him. But really, naptime in the mall? And the Mary Kay lady really is too much. I had a similar situation at a Wendy's en route to Fort Worth, except they chose to compliment my child's looks (which may be a better approach for Mary Kay lady) and they tried to get me to sell Arbonne. Gotta love these people!

Marcia said...

I got such a laugh reading your story. I'm sure there are some normal Mary Kay ladies out there, but everyone I've ever encountered was psycho. The best was the sales rep and her husband that came up to Matthew and I at the Lubbock wal-mart at close to midnight once. The husband actually told Matthew how great it was having his wife sell Mary Kay because he got to check out and point out all the pretty girls to his wife.

Shanta said...

Those play areas freak me out, even as an adult onlooker. It's always hysteria and seems like there is no supervision. I CANNOT believe those women were napping. Only you would be able to snag a picture of that. I too am bummed about the writer's strike.

Hope you are over your crapitude. We love you!!!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you wouldn't wake me up from my nap and say "Hi". :)

Alyssa said...

I really don't know what to say...except thanks for having your camera.

Julie said...

That is just an unbelievable afternoon. I mean seriously. Sleeping? Wake yo butt up!

Kelli said...

Seriously, that is awesome! As a non-mom-but-teacher, I get so frustrated when moms are not careful with their kids! It is a scary world out there, even at the SPM!

Mary Kay ladies are the worst too, are they not? You never know where one might be lurking. While I'm sure you WERE the cutest moms in the mall, it is hilarious that you left your friend there to deal with it; I would have done the same thing. It also cracks me up that you bossed the kids into a line - I would have done that too! Sometimes the teacher within just comes out! Hope you have a great week!

Channing said...

Hilarious. I can just see the two of you lining the kids up, attempting some kind of order. You and Jenn are brave souls!

The M Family said...

okay ashley, i just came across your blog through denae's...she is linked to my sister whitney's blog...
anyhow, i am/was jennifer green...and i went to junior high with you!...think choir! do you remember me??
anyhow i recognized you in your family picture!!! and was like oh my gosh i know her!!! anyhow, just wanted to say hi! we started a family blog in august after our first daughter was born (she happened to arrive the exact same day as chris and denae's baby will)...check it out if you get a chance: miersma.blogspot.com
anyhow, merry christmas to you!!
jennifer

Laura said...

I agree with Alyssa...SO glad you had your camera with you. Next time, just go lay on top of her and ask her if she wants to snuggle...seriously.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed