Thursday, September 20, 2007

Carley's friends from Granny's & 8 things


Granny & Papa (the people who keep Carley while we work) took this picture of Carley and her friends on the first day that all the kids were back. I thought it was really cute. Some of you know the sweet baby propped up against Carley and I thought you would like to see it too. These little kids have become like siblings to Carley in a way and I am very thankful for them.

I have now been tagged SEVEN times to do the 8 things about me post. Man, the pressure. Lord knows I have few to no filters about what I share online so I have had so much trouble coming up with 8 things about me that you don't already know. I really can not come up with anything interesting. Here is the best I can do:

1. My dad made me get a haircut one time for yelling at my mom while she was french braiding my hair. He was tired of us fighting in the mornings. I will never forget that day. My family still talks about this story often. This is the only time in the history of my family that my Dad ever gave an opinion about hair.

2. I don't like coffee. I don't like the smell of it either. It just looks like burned water to me. I also do not like cold cereal or eggs. The texture of both kill me. I only like to drink milk at night and not in the morning.

3. I came in second place in the Martin Elementary spelling bee in 4th grade. I lost out on the word cherish. I did not "cherish" the moment of losing and vowed to never use the word again.

4. I can still write down my class schedule and room numbers of all my years in public education. (Kindergarten, Mrs. Beavers room, 113; 1st grade Mrs. Prater, 119; etc.). I have a knack for memorizing songs and TV theme songs. I have won 3 TV/commercial theme contests. My memory is so good that it is embarrassing sometimes so I pretend like I don't remember so people do not think I am a psycho stalker. In my head I am thinking, " We met in the frozen food section of Walmart. You were in a yellow sweatshirt, I was in a gray T-Shirt. You were with my friend, Sally Ann Walker, whose phone number is 123-4567 and birthday is 1-1-03." But I usually pretend like I can't place them.

5. I hit my first grade teacher when I was running away from school. I didn't like first grade at ALL until Christmas time when I got to be Mary in the school play. Before then, I would scream, cry, and try to run away all the time. After that, I was okay.

6. I have the same birthday as Texas Independence Day. When I was 8, Texas turned 150 and the Vice President at the time, George Bush Sr., came to Lubbock for some speech. My family went and we sat behind the white house press. They took my address and Mr. and Mrs. VP send me an autographed picture, a letter, and a copy of the speech. It was so neat. Another great story is that my big sister, Alyssa, had to take me to bathroom right before the speech. Somehow on the way back in I got away and ran in and my sister got stopped and was not allowed to enter because the speech had started. She started crying and thought she was in National trouble. I went back to my seat with out thinking twice about her. Once again, I got in trouble.

7. I do not like my smile at all. I have a mole on my top lip that always makes it look like I have food of my face and my top lip rolls under when I smile. I used to get made fun of for both of these things when I was in 6th grade and it still bugs me to this day.

8. If I am not thinking about it, I blow on any food that I am eating with a fork or spoon before it goes in my mouth. This is a horrible and embarrassing habit and I have gotten caught a couple of times. Cody caught me blowing on my salad last week and I blew on ice cream at work the other day. Most of the time I catch myself before someone else does, but sadly, not always.

Finally, please keep praying for our sweet Bennett Speck. He is a month old today. I can not imagine how this month has been for Travis and Kelly.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Ok, all hilarious, especially after reading Alyssa's 8 things. I love your memory. This makes my life easier, since I know I can just count on you to remember anything that overlaps in our lives so that I don't have to. I definitely learned some things about you!

Amy said...

Oh, and I do recognize the two oldest kids from storytime, which means that I've also seen Papa there. The kids were very well behaved!

Marcia said...

I'm glad to know that someone has a better memory than I do! I totaly understand having to "filter out" how you know someone and how much you remember about knowing them.

Nicole said...

OK. That memory of yours is CRAZY!! I only wish I had a memory like that. It is really amazing to be able to recall things like that. I wish I had just a LITTLE bit if that.

I loved reading this! You have great stories! :)

Nicole said...

OH And btw- Carley is SO cute!! I think she looks so much like you!! :)

Alyssa said...

i totally did not know that you blew on your food! that's really funny-

Thanks for the Bush story... that's a good one.

By the way...
K- Ms. Tammell/Mrs. Woods 114
1st Mrs. Phelps/Mrs. Hickman 145
2nd- Mrs. Sorley- 130, etc
Do you feel better?

summer said...

I laughed out loud at the thought of you blowing on your salad and ice cream. Those 8 things were great!

Anonymous said...

That memory of yours is awesome!! I loved reading your 8!

April Carrasco said...

Your memory is crazy! I can't even remember what I did yesterday :)!!

Robby and Lynsey said...

You are absolutely hysterical! ;) I can't believe that you have such a good memory. I can't remember ANYTHING!!!

Denae said...

And I thought I had a good memory! I can't believe you can remember room numbers. I used to be really weird about remembering people and what they were wearing when I first met them. Not so much anymore though. I guess I'm getting old.

I can totally remember the first time I met you (Brice and Kristin's Superbowl party) and we talked about how you taught one of my cousins...can't remember what you were wearing though!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I knew you could come up with 8 things that I didn't know about you!! You are so witty! I loved all 8 things. And to copy what everyone else said...you have a crazy good memory!!!

kunami10 said...

The pic of Carley and her friends is too cute! I love looking at all of your pics...reminds me that I need to add some to mine...if only I had the time!

Your 8 things were so funny! I actually laughed out loud - something that hasn't happened very often lately! :-(

Nicole said...

I, too, blow on food whether it needs it or not. I don't know if it makes feel better that we share that trait because you're kinda crazy! :-)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed