Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Valor

Webster defines Valor as "strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery". Yesterday Cody, his truck company, and two other truck companies received medals of Valor from the City for their bravery at the propane fire a couple of months ago. (see blog history for the story).

I have been thinking a lot about the word "valor". In my mind it has a place with antiquated words like chivalry, gentleness, purity, and other words that seem to belong in medieval times that we do not see carried out that often. Why have things changed? Have they?

Sometimes I think we are too busy to look for subtle good deeds. The quiet small acts of people just doing their jobs do not grab our attention like the loud attention seekers (like me) who love praise and find ways to demand it with all of our actions.

Yes. Cody fighting a fire and risking his life to save and help others, is WAY more than a subtle good deed. I love Cody because in his mind, he was not showing valor or bravery, he was just doing his job to the best of his ability. After the ceremony, I asked him what he was thinking and his comment was this, "You know, sometimes, it is nice to get praise for just doing your job well." In this busy world, we do not always recognize a job well done and if we do, we rarely comment on it.

So this week, say something nice to someone who is just doing their job to the best of their ability. Look for acts of bravery, valor, gentleness, and chivalry and recognize them.

And finally...WAY TO GO CODY! I am so proud of you! :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post Ashley! I think it's awesome that they had a ceremony to appreciate Cody and his team's valor- much deserved!

Caroline said...

Congratulations Cody. I saw his name in the paper today and was totally impressed. Please tell him I said "Thank You!"

Jennifer K said...

I saw y'all on TV last night. I am very proud of Cody and the dedication he has to his job. I love the fact that he LOVES his job! Way to go!!

Phillips Family said...

I have such respect for Cody and others who work in similar fields--they put a lot on the line for public safety and well-being.

I am quite impressed that you were on television!

Alyssa said...

I am so proud of Cody and also so proud of you for not doing anything embarrassing while on the news :) Cody is such a wonderful person! I am so glad that he was honored for a job that he truly loves. Congratulations!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I am thankful there are still men and women in this world like Cody and his team that take pride in what they do. Those in fields like his have to show courage each day...Thank you Cody and congratulations!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed