Saturday, February 17, 2007

Twilight


I just finished a wonderful book entitled "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. It is a romance/suspense book. It came well recommended, but I didn't think I would like it. Man, I was wrong. I fell hook, line, and sinker immediately. I checked it out from my school library so I can't loan it out, but I highly recommend it. I will start the sequel next week. Has anyone out there read it so we can talk about it? I am dying to find out what the characters will do next.

And speaking of waiting anxiously for story line resolution, I have to say that Grey's Anatomy kept me on the edge of my seat on Thursday and I can't wait for the conclusion. It was SUCH a touching episode. I know Meredith won't die, but I don't think she will be "hunky dory" after this and I am afraid parts of this will change her relationship with McDreamy as well. It was an insane episode.

And finally, one of my other major obsessions is Harry Potter. A few weeks ago they announced the date for the final book. I can't believe we will finally know what happens with Harry, Ron, Voldemort, and the rest of the characters that have become so real to me over the past few years. This series has hooked me in like no other book series (except maybe the Baby Sitters Club) where I just can't quit reading and rereading these books. Embarrassingly, I also listen to them on CD. If you have not started reading these books, do your self a favor and pick up the first one. You have start from the beginning and the movies don't count, even though they are excellent. I have all the books if you want to borrow one. Anyway, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will come available in July and I will be unavailable for a few days afterwards while I find out what happens.

All of these have reminded me how much I admire good writing. Those of you who are gifted to create characters that grow, change, relate, and inspire need to really use your gift. I definitely do not have that gift at all. Whether your medium is television, books, letters to the editor, or anything else, if you are a talented writer, then you should write. And I will joyfully watch or read what you have to say and become excited as the story unfolds.

Now, get off the computer and go pick up a book! :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely don't read enough - unless you count Us Weekly. I don't think I would necessarily classify those writers as gifted.

I have never been able to get into Harry Potter, but Boone loves all the Harry Potter books and movies.

I tried to use a blog template from the same website you got yours from, but I am a moron. Can you help me do it? I seriously could not figure it out at all. I figured since you obviously successfully used the website, maybe you could help a stupid girl out!

Cara said...

Ashley, I love Twilight. I checked it out from my school library too, and I could not put it down. I have not gotten the chance to read New Moon yet, but my kids said it is just as good. I have already preordered my copy of the last Harry Potter. There is a fourth book of the Sisterhood of the Travleing Pants that came out and Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief (and its sequel) is really good. The Lone Star books this year are also great reads. I teach middle school English, so I am always reading it.

Lisa Renee said...

Yeah, totally dropped off on that reading thing. What a loser I am.

Nicole said...

I am SO going to get this book from the library this week. It looks like one that I would really like. I am always looking for a good suspenseful book.

Amber Smith said...

I think you totally have a gift for writing, Ashley. You keep me entertained. Don't sell yourself short. Your blog is INCREDIBLY fun to read. Just thought you'd like to know...

Prince Edward said...

I am putting this new book on my list to read while I travel on a program for a few days in March. I still have Size 14 is Not Fat either to read that Alyssa gave me at Christmas! Thanks for the recommendations!

Cara said...

I kept hoping Edward would turn Bella into a vampire in a twisted romantic way. I am going to try and get New Moon, but my students keep checking it out:) I heard that the sequel focuses more on the werewolf side of things and not as much on Edward. I have been meaning to read more Meg Cabot books too, I love her writing style.

Marcia said...

I'm waiting very anxiously for tomorrow night too! She can't really die since its her show and all. Maybe she'll come back with memory loss kind of like her mother. I think I might watch it again tonight to get me through until tomorrow.

I'm readind Dear John right now. Its Nicholas Sparks's newest book. He's one of my favorites!

Robby and Lynsey said...

I will just throw a fit if they kill Meredith off! :)

April Carrasco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed