Saturday, April 28, 2007

Homeless

Technically, we are homeless. But in this case, that is a good thing. I have been waiting to blog about this until everything was settled. Most of you know though that this has been going on, but we are moving! Of course, we are not leaving this Promise Land town that we love, but just upsizing in homes. We closed on the sale of our house on Friday and we close on the purchase of our new house on Monday. We aren't moving into the new house until the end of May, but we are very excited.

Here is how it all went down. In January we decided it was time to put the house on the market. I called my awesome sister who has been going through real estate woes to tell her we would be joining her in the house market. She was really supportive. She called me like 5 minutes later and said that she and Clint wanted to buy our house and use it as rental property in Lubbock. Awesome! We sold our house without even having to clean it! The next day I was at school and visiting with the librarian who I have blogged about before and love so much! I told her that we were going to be looking for houses in her neighborhood and to keep her eye out for cute ones. She told me they were going to put their house on the market, but they had a couple of things to do to it first. We were joking about it, then I asked her if I really could come look at her house. She said okay so the next day Cody, Carley, and I went over to the house and fell in love with it! It is just the right size for us. It had so many things we wanted. We were sure we couldn't afford it though. So I asked her how much "as is" without the flooring fixes and painting the dining room. They came back with an offer that was too good to be true because we weren't using Realtors, they were saving 6%. And tah-dah in 36 hours we had sold our house and found our new one. How is that for divine intervention!

It has been quite a few months, buying and selling a house without Realtors or any real clue what we were doing. We had a great mortgage company who talked us through every step and helped draw up all of the forms.

The best part is that Clint and Alyssa made Cody and I their property managers. Our first renter is our cousin. She is getting married in July so this will be their first home. I am so excited. I love this house. It is very special to me.

I bought this house during my first year of teaching. I was single and really enjoying my independence. It was a huge accomplishment for me at the time to buy this home and fix it up. I felt like a real adult the day I closed. This house is where Cody and I watched a movie for our second date. It is where we held hands for the first time. It is where we came home to from our honeymoon. It is where I took several negative pregnancy tests and cried. It is where I took the one positive pregnancy test and cried tears of joy. It is where Carley came home from the hospital. It is where she took her first steps. It is such a special home to me. I am so glad it will be a special place to another couple so dear to me.

And I can't tell you how excited I am about the new house. It has almost double the square footage of this house which means I might not step on Little People in the middle of the night. I can't wait for you to come see it!

Anyway, I am homeless today, but luckily my landlord isn't kicking me out!

20 comments:

*Kendra* said...

Wow!!! That's really a neat story! We are putting our house on the market and moving too--maybe I should call my sister and see if she wants my house.....

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Okay, is it bad to admit that I cried when I read all the things that have happened in your house. Ahhhhh...memories! Congrats on the easy sell and the new purchase. So awesome. We can't wait to come visit!

Marcia said...

How exciting! It doesn't sound like that could have happened any easier. I'll have to come to Lubbock and eat more pancakes in your new house.

Kelli Marchbanks said...

I am SOOO jealous! But glad to hear the great news. Those memories are such treasures!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That's great!! What a blessing!!!

Alyssa said...

Clint and I are so excited that everything worked out for you guys..now, can you "conjure" up a house deal for your older sister??

Caroline said...

Glad everything went so smoothly and that you will be living much closer to me! Call me- lets go walking in the evenings!

Marcia said...

Good eye! The Painted Ladies we're in front of in our pictures are the houses from Full House.

Lisa Renee said...

CONGRATS! That is SO nice how everything happened for you! May you make many new memories in your new home!

Lisa Renee said...

Tell Clint and Alyssa that ours has been on for four months if their are interested in another one too!!!!

MereMoore said...

that is so exciting! congrats-what a sweet post-I feel like that about our house too. we get so attached.
love your blog too...i will have to do better about reading it!

Nicole said...

Very cool story! I don't think anything in my whole life has worked out that easily. I love that Clint is going to be a real estate mogul and that you are going to be a property manager...hilarious! :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats on such an amazing house buying experience- I have never heard of anything like this; how perfect for all of you!!! You will have to post some pics when you have them....congrats again!

Robby and Lynsey said...

What a great story! I'm sure anyone going through that process wishes it could have been so easy for them as well. How wonderful! I can't wait to see pics of your new place!

leslie said...

Congratulations! Post pics of the new place!

Allison said...

CONGRATS!!!! I want to see pics!!!

kunami10 said...

I knew that you were moving into Susan's house, but I you didn't tell me all of that! That just means that it was all meant to be.

Jennifer K said...

I am so excited that everything has worked out! I can't wait to be neighbors!

Tiffany said...

I can't wait to see the new place!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nelson family! What part of town will ya'll be living in? Drop me a line, Ashley. Miss you!!!! Donna danddmcd@yahoo.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed