Monday, October 01, 2007

A wonderful weekend



I just have to say, we had a wonderful weekend. Friday we drove to Keller to Alyssa's house for Lauren's 4th birthday. We ate at Buca Di Beppo for dinner. It was SO yummy and way too much food. Then Saturday we went to Lauren's party at Rainforest Cafe. I loved this for so many reasons. #1 - Lauren is so special to me. She is SUCH a sweet girl. She gives hugs and kisses and is so fun to tease and to play with all the time. The thing that I love the most about her right now is how genuine she is. She loves her cousin, her family, her friends, and her life. She asks great questions and really tries to comprehend what is going on around her all the time. That kid does not miss a beat! #2 - I got to see some of my favorite bloggers. Nicole and Kristen were there and I always enjoy catching up with these friends in person.

We spent the rest of the weekend celebrating my sweet mom who had a birthday as well. My mom is SUCH a wonderful person. She truly is the most humble and giving person I know. She is the BEST mom and the VERY BEST NANA! We love her so much and truly I have no idea what I would do in this world without her.

Cody took a shift of vacation for us to go so he got off work on Wednesday night and didn't go back in until tonight. We had such a good time being together. We had Carley's Halloween picture made, went to the mall, went to the park, and enjoyed our car time together. He is so much fun to be with and I truly feel like a better person when he is around.

We were sad to miss a get together with our Lubbock friends from church though. We are so blessed to have so many people to love and have in our lives.

I have one more crazy story for you. A lady I work with and have become good friends with is 27 and she and her husband have 2 kids. She is an amazing person and a ton of fun too. She is also a hero to me because she fought a NASTY battle with bone cancer and won. It was an awful 8 months and she dealt with so much during that time. She finished chemo in November. Since then her body has had trouble getting back in the swing of things. She was a marathon runner before cancer and was training for another one in January. She is just one of those fit, tiny people that I am always friends with but never one of! :) Anyway, she came in my office on Friday and was crying. She asked to use the phone and called a lab to schedule blood work. I was so afraid her cancer was back. Instead, she had taken a pregnancy test and it was positive. Although, this seems like good news, she needed to wait 2 years to get pregnant because of the chemo getting out of her system. I prayed and prayed for her all weekend. Today she came in to call the lab and get her results. The dr. told her to come to his office IMMEDIATELY. She went in and they did a sonogram. She is 18 weeks pregnant with a little boy! 18 WEEKS! She thought she was just a little bloated from the chemo left overs! And the best part is the baby is healthy! He has survived a CT scan, a bone scan, bobsledding in Utah, Six Flags, and several XRays! WOW! Can you imagine finding out you are half way done with your pregnancy? CRAZY! God is very faithful and truly the creator of life!

8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad y'all had a great time! I agree, your mom is amazing! She's such a wonderful role model for all of us.

Marcia said...

My spy (my sister) also tells me you were at church at Richland Hills on Saturday.
I think that your friend who beat cancer is the sister-in-law of one of my good friends here at church. small world!

Nicole said...

WOW. What a wonderful and inspiring story!! That is truly amazing. 18 weeks and I had been in maternity clothes for over a MONTH!! God is AWESOME!!!!

Sounds like the weekend was a blast!! So fun to be with family and friends huh?

summer said...

I'm glad you had a great weekend! It was good to see you and Carley. A crazy thing happened on our way home, though. I'm on Indiana, about to turn into the Kohl's parking lot and I hear this loud POP. I turn around and the window beside Ethan is completely shattered into a million pieces. Luckily it didn't fall in on him and I was able to get back to Nanny's before it started to fall. It was CRAZY! So, $235 later, we have a new window courtesy of Frank Brown Honda of Lubbock. :)

Nicole said...

You two look so much alike!! Cute pictures!!

April Carrasco said...

Cute family pictures, glad y'all had a good time!

Kristen OQ said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED seeing my favorite "Across the Miles Book Club Buddy."

Btw, I am still reading about Dayne & Katy...

Vampires are next, I promise!

Anita said...

I guess I have to admit lurking on your blog now that Marcia has outted me. I am Marcia's sister, Anita. I knew your sister at ACU. I so wanted to introduce myself to you after church, but between wrangling my kids and such I missed you. Anyway-glad y'all had a fun visit. I'll be on the lookout for you another time.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed