Monday, July 14, 2008

That darn empty seat

Today Cody made an appointment for Carley and I to head to the tire store to get the valve stem (or something like that) checked on our car. As many of you know, a tire store is not the easiest place to entertain a two year old for an hour........no toys, no tv. Plus it was pouring rain this morning so my original plan to walk to McDonalds or a donut shop wasn't going to work in that eather. So Carley and I walk in (dripping wet because I can never find my umbrella when it rains) and go to the counter. When I walk in I see that the room is full of men. Literally, all men. They are ALL sitting with an empty seat between them. So Carley and I head to the counter to check in and all of that and I start thinking, "One of these nice guys will move next to eachother so I can sit with my daughter and our large diaper bag of toys". After about 3 minutes at the counter I turn around to find a seat and no one had moved. Some of these guys were in their 40s and 50s so I know that at least a couple of them must be fathers and feel my pain. No one gets up. I just stand there looking for a place, when my vocal little girl in pigtails and a princess shirt says, "Mommy, where are we going to sit? I do not see a chair for me and a chair for you." Carley is not a whisperer by any stretch and I know they all heard her. I said I didn't know and did the look around the room again. All the guys were looking every direction but at us so they could avoid my eye contact. Finally she stood in front of me while I sat in a chair. After 30 minutes one of the guys got finished and left and we finally could sit together.

Why can't men sit next to eachother? I get the comfort factor, but when two that are clearly together need to sit together, then they should be man enough to move over. Do they really think that they are going to come across as a homosexual for sitting next to another man in the tire store? Ugh.

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow. That story is sick. People are so dumb. How someone could purposely be so inconsiderate is beyond me!!!

Jodi said...

Ok, the correct word I believe is "purposefully"... I think...yeah, I was a math major...

cmjj said...

That is so dumb. And I am not the least bit surprised. Kudos to you for even going into the tire store without your husband. When I go into places like that I feel like I am walking into the lion's den. You and Carley crack me up!!! I am glad she didn't whisper :) BTW, I love your new family picture. It is so beautiful!! Love you friend.

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Agh! That would've made me so mad! And that no one moved even after Carley said that!!

Mauri said...

I think you should have just plopped carley down in between a couple of the grumpy buggers with her bag full of toys and and then pull out the nosiest one in the bag for her enjoyment! I bet they would've gotten over their homophobia pretty fast...can you tell I don't have kids since i just recommended you sit your child by rude strange men?

The Speck family said...

That is so annoying! Carley and you played your cards perfectly and those men were obviously just CLUELESS.

Shanta said...

Out of the mouth of babes... you tell 'em Carley!

Caroline said...

Goodness, people can be so rude. Good for you for going to the tire store. I always try to get out of errands like that.

*Kendra* said...

Men! What else can you really say?

Amy said...

Don't even get me started on this topic! I love Carkey.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed