Saturday, July 26, 2008

What I read this week:

Change of Heart - By Jodi Picoult - This was shared by Kristen O and Alyssa O. It is SO good. I really love her books. They are all mysteries in a way with a twist. This is the story of a guy who is on death row for allegedly murdering a cop and his daughter. He sees on the news that the other daughter of this family needs a heart transplant and he wants to donate his heart too her, but obviously the court and the mom of the family have lots of emotions about this. There is also an interesting twist on religion in this book as well. I give it 5 stars. It is a real page turner and thinker. :)

The Shack - By William Young. This was loaned to me by Allyson W and recommended by several of you bloggers. The subtitle of this book is "Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity". This is a short book (only 250 small pages) and it truly is a must read. Without giving too much away, it is basically about a man who God invites to spend a weekend with him at a shack where a great tragedy happened to the man's family. This book really blessed me. Even though it was fiction, I felt like it showed a lot of insight into God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Please take the time to read this book. It is outstanding and I know it will bless you like it blessed me.


On a COMPLETELY different page, Breaking Dawn, the 4th book in the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer is coming out in one week! I am so excited to find out how this story ends. I know so many of you out there are fans of this series like I am and although I should be embarrassed about my obsession to this love triangle (those of you who have read it know why it is embarrassing to talk about), but truthfully this series is SO captivating, innovative, and compelling, I am not ashamed to admit that this series is one of the best fiction series I have read.


So here are my questions blogger:

1. Do you think I am crazy for reading two books in a week?
2. Have you read any of these books?
3. Have you prereserved a copy of Breaking Dawn?
4. Did The Shack change the way you look at things?
5. What are you reading?

Here are some of my favorite quotes about reading:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read. - Mark Twain
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. - Mason Cooley
Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors. - Joseph Addison
A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others. - Abraham Lincoln
It is not true we have only one life to love, if we can read, we can live as many lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. - S.I. Hayakawa
Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms. - Angela Carter

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh honey, I think I probably read five books last week while we were on vacation. Road trips are the perfect time to catch up. I have heard of the Shack, both good and bad. I am interested in reading it at some point. Of course I can't wait to read Breaking Dawn! I have been rereading the Harry Potter books this week. They never get old, and I love that. Have you read the rest of the Stephanie Plum books? For school, I am about to read a book called "Whatever It Takes"....I'll let you know how it is. :)

Kristin said...

I'm still on the 2nd book of the Mark of the Lion series....which I can't get enough of! I heard someone talking about the Twilight books Friday when I was getting my hair done, but other than that I hadn't even heard of them.
Thanks for the recommendations! :)

cmjj said...

I have re-discovered reading a bit since I haven't been working. I always enjoyed reading as a child and teenager, but unfortunately got too busy for it for a while. I am re-reading some of the classics that I didn't really appreciate when I was younger. I finished Pride and Prejudice last week and now I am working on Sense and Sensibility. Reading is such an awesome thing. I really enjoy it, and I really enjoy sharing it with the kids. One of my most favorite things to do is take them to story time at the library and then let them hunt for books!! Jaron always picks out Halloween books!!! And I can't get enough of books like The Giving Tree, Goodnight Moon, Where the Wild Things Are...

BTW, Jordan's friends are extremely diverse, and it has been interesting getting to know them and their vastly different lives. Obviously, one of the biggest differences is religion. We try to spend alot of time praying for her friends, too.

Spotted-Bird said...

I have read Change of Heart and loved it. Did you read Nineteen Minutes? So good. I am sticking with light and funny books this summer. Nothing has been good enough to read in a week.

Marcia said...

No way are you crazy. I wish I had the chance to read like that.
No on 2-4
I just this weekend finished reading P.S. I Love You. It was good. I'm glad I saw the movie first because the book and movie were so so so different. I would have been disappointed in the movie.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed