Sunday, July 19, 2009

Confessions of A Book Nerd


Man, I have been a book nerd again this summer and really enjoyed it.

I read the new Janet Evanovich on the Stephanie Plum series.

I read the new Karen Kingsbury books, Take One and Take Two.

But the best thing I did was reread two of my favorite series. I reread the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer and the I reread the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

I cannot tell you enough that if you haven't read the series, you need to. They are both excellent. The movies do not touch on the greatness of these books. The Twilight series, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful love stories. It is a story of pure love, and sacrifice.

The Harry Potter series is the best epic fiction tale of all time. It is a powerful story of friendship and good vs. evil. It is a tough decision, but I think these are the best books I have ever read.
Cody made so much fun of me when I started reading the HP books again. He asked me if I was expecting a different ending and I told him, "the first time I read for plot, this time I am reading for the literary element of foreshadowing". Looking back at my response I can see why Cody ridiculed me for WEEKS about this, but I can't help it. I wanted to see what details from the early books foreshadowed book 7.

Anyway, Summer is coming to an end, read a book! Read two books! Read the Twilight series! Read the Harry Potter Series! Read Redeeming Love! Read the Redemption Series by Karen Kingsbury! Read a book by Meg Cabot or Jodi Picoult! Just read a book before school starts and life really does get crazy again. Start with a chapter a day.

Have you read this summer? What are you reading? Do you ever use the phrase "literary elements" in a sentence?

9 comments:

Robby and Lynsey said...

I so wish to be a book nerd at some point in my life! I just do not enjoy reading and hate that about myself. I got into books on tape for a while and loved it. Now that I am not commuting anymore, I don't "read" anything anymore! Thanks for sharing your love for it, though ... it does make me want to try again. :)

The Speck family said...

Love that you are such a book nerd....I am just now finding time to read consistently and just finished a book called "Sarah's Key" centered around French Jews who were killed in WWII. It is an excellent book and really well done with a fascinating story. Hugs to you and that sweet baby boy :).

Kristen OQ said...

I just finished a book called Firefly Lane. I am handing it off to Alyssa tomorrow and she can hand it off to you too if you are interested. Pretty good. I also read a book from your sister called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Long title for a good book -- Alyssa and I decided it was a book form of a really good Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.

I told Kevin just this weekend that I was thinking about re-reading Harry Potter again and he looked at me like I was crazy. I still need to go see the newest movie!

Amy said...

I love you, friend!! This summer I've read the whole Love Comes Softly series and now I'm 350 pgs into Twilight. I stay up way too late reading but it's such a habit that I can't go to sleep without reading somewhat mindless fiction. I have three new textbooks to read and prep for the semester so I should probably hold off on starting New Moon but I can't!!

Carolyn said...

I am impressed that you reread the HP series! My dad gave me the books on CD, and I'm planning to listen to all of them eventually. I love the books, and the guy that reads them aloud on the recordings is excellent.

This summer I've been listening to "The Lovely Bones" and reading "Home" by Marilynne Robinson. I'm enjoying both a lot. Hopefully I'll get through some more books this summer and will have a chance to re-read HP too! :-)

Phillips Family said...

I totally recommend Firefly Lane or True Colors (both by Kristen hannah)

I am reading Heat by bill buford. It is about one man's "internship" in the kitchen at Babbo (Mario Batali's restaurant). It is really good as well.

Alyssa said...

I am a total book nerd as well and very much enjoyed both of those series. However.... Edward and Bella- one of the greatest love stories of all time?? I bet in your mind this list would also include Derek and Meredith.


you are crazy.. but I love you.

Jennifer K said...

I haven't made it past the first chapter of the book you gave me 6 weeks ago. So sad. I just don't have it in me!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I am finally reading the Twilight series right now. Just finished Francine Rivers' series on men of the bible. Going to read hers on the women of the bible after Twilight series. I'm sure you have, but have you read My sister's keeper? How was it?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed