Sunday, October 16, 2011

Keep It Simple, Stupid

How many times have I seen KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid and thought, I should try to make some simplifying changes to make my world run a little more smoothly. Well, I have not posted all of October yet because nothing has seem simple. We have been running around like crazy. The kids have had random sicknesses. Cody and I have been swamped with work. We have had obligation, after obligation, after plan, after plan.

Saturday my purse was stolen from my basket at Toys R Us. All 4 of us were there and to make a long story short, my mind was in a million places and I wasn't paying attention. It was gone and when I realized it, it was too late. We had planned a big night last night of taking the kids out of town. At the last minute we changed our minds so we would stay here, but take the kids for a fun dinner and then to the drive in. Well after spending Saturday afternoon canceling all of my accounts, I realized I had no money (or cards, or accounts, or purse) and Cody had $8. This needs to last us till Wednesday when the new cards come. So we had a change of plans for our family. Since we had hyped up Carley with a big surprise family night, we had to come up with something. So instead we had a "Hot Dog Party" and ate hot dogs on left over party plates from parties we had years ago and had extra plates and napkins. Then we went to Legacy Playvillage. Why have the Nelsons never been to this huge, fun, free park? Finally we used a Groupon from Bahama Bucks. When I was drying Carley's hair before bed she talked about how much fun she had that night and that the Hot Dog party was the most fun surprise she can remember.

I HATE that my purse is gone along with all of my identification, keys, sunglasses, make up, camera, etc. But I also hate that it took that dramatic of an event to make us slow down. Family fun nights can be cheap (or free), easy, and take little to no planning. All you need is a family and parents that are not distracted by cell phones, IPADS, etc. Hopefully the Nelsons will be better at keeping it simple and slowing down a little for our family.

Anyone with me?

2 comments:

Tara said...

i am so sorry that your purse got stolen ... that really really stinks. but i love this post SO much! i constantly think that we need to slow down and put down the iPhones and just BE with our family ... but it's so hard to make yourself do that! i think that it's so-o-o-o sweet that carley LOVED it so much more than anything else that you could have done. that's inspiration enough!

cmjj said...

I love it. I love your honesty...I can't tell you how many times I think about this on a daily basis. I try really hard to keep our lives simple, we don't live in an easy-going place. I have discovered too that our kids are happiest when we are all together and taking a walk or playing a game. We need to do it more often. Love you, love Carley, love Corey, love Cody.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed