Sunday, September 25, 2005

This is dedicated to the one I love....

This is Cody and Lauren last christmas! :)

There are many titles in my life right now that I feel blessed to own. I am a daughter to two wonderful parents whose picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "supportive". I am a sister to the most sensitive and caring person I know who also seems to get in ways that no one else does. I am a wife to truly the most selfless and encouraging person on the planet. I am a friend to the most rocking gal pals in the world. I have a job that inspires and motivates me. I am a member of a church that I really believe in. But this week, I am giving tribute to one of my most favorite people on the planet, my niece Lauren Ashley O'Rear who turns 2 years old on Thursday. Being an aunt is one of the coolest jobs EVER! Here are a few of my favorite reasons that being Lolo's "Aunt Cee" is one of my favorite titles.

1. I get to teach Lauren funny things that parents don't teach their kids. Lauren knows "Yes" from Napoleon Dynamite. I taught her to spit when she hears the word "coffee" because I think coffee is gross. I taught her to make funny faces. I taught her to fall backwards when she is being held (much to the surprise of her parents). All of these things are not things I want Carley to master, because I will be her mom, but things I taught Lauren because I am her aunt.

2. It seems like I visit Lauren often right before her checkups at the pediatritian. Apparently they say that at certain months kids should be able to do a list of certain skills. Two or three times I would visit during crunch time when it was about to be an appointment and get to baby sit her. I was part of her first successful game of peek-a-boo, throwing a ball, and jumping. Aunts get to come in during "crunch time" and save the day when it is their parent who works with them for hours on end.

3. Aunts get to laugh at things that parents have to be sincere about because they are the parent. (this story is a little inappropriate so stop reading if you want) One time we were at this really nice steak house in Lubbock and Lauren was constipated. She was sitting in her little high chair, literally white-knuckling the top of it and grunting during the ENTIRE meal trying to "work". Her parents and my parents were sad for her. I thought it was hilarious because she was making these funny faces and sounds. I will never forget it.

4. Since Lauren doesn't live in my town, she gets full attention when she is here and usually this means a trip to the firestation to visit "Uncle Coco". Lauren associates fire with the word "hot" (and she saw Cody grill one time) so on the phone she will start talking about Cody and say, "Coco Hot!", "Coco Hot!". I can't argue with her. He is a hottie. Only aunts think that is funny.

5. I can buy Lauren funny clothes that she wears only when I am around. She has a "Drama Queen" onesie and a onesie that says, "If you think I am cute, you should see my Aunt Ashley". What parent would buy that for their kids.

6. I will never have to spank Lauren or get onto her. It won't bother me if she eats too many sweets or learns lines from urban romantic comedies. And I can teach her how to make fun of her parents without her knowing it. I LOVE BEING AN AUNT.

This Saturday will be the first big event in Lauren's life I will miss. She is having a "Ladybug Brunch" for her 2nd birthday party and Cody and I have to be in Lubbock. We are so sad.

This blog is for all the aunts and people out there who spoil other people's kids because you can. Any other reasons that it is great to be an aunt or funny stories?

5 comments:

leslie said...

You make me WANT to be an aunt!! I guess Neil should find a girlfriend first though.

Shanta said...

You get to revisit fun places like Chuck-E-Cheese, laser tag, and all the "kid" movies with a perfectly legitimate excuse...great post Ash.

Amy said...

I would have no idea where to even start! I'm obsessed with my nieces & nephews--thought it would fade as they get older but they just keep getting cooler! When my niece Jordyn was 2 she got a little motorized go-cart so I taught her to constanty ask her dad, "Daddy, will you pimp my ride?" It was a big hit!

Kristen OQ said...

It is fun to be an aunt -- all of the spoiling (that I would like to do with Sam & Seth but can't) and none of the consequences! I love when my sister-in-law tells my nephew to take a nap and I say, "Oh does he really have to? Can't he stay up and play with Aunt Kristen for a little longer?" Then she is the bad guy and I am the coolest aunt ever in his 4 year old mind!

We will miss you at Lauren's party this weekend. Sam & Seth are very excited about attending.

Alyssa said...

Ash- that is a really sweet, little tribute to Lauren. She does love you so much! She can't wait to see you next week in Lubbock, and I can't wait until Carley gets here so I can buy her all sorts of stuff and hug and kiss her like crazy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed