Sunday, November 27, 2005

Can you ever have too much?

RANDOMLY, I have been thinking a lot about the lottery lately. (I know, RANDOM) It has always been a dream of mine to win the lottery. My dad is like the luckiest person alive and I often wish I had his same gift of random winnings. The weirdest part about me thinking about the lottery is that I buy a ticket about once every 3 years. I know I don't have the best chances. Mostly what I wonder about is, could I handle receiving that much money?? I mean, I know I would spend it, invest it, and give it away well. I know that I would make wise choices and also make sure that the church and some special charities and non-profits close to my heart would receive blessings from it. I know that my family would be taken care of and that many of the daily stresses of life would be eased by winning that much money. ( I am talking about mega millions here, not just $1000.00) Don't get my wrong, I would LOVE to have it. It would be so cool. BUT, could you handle it? I mean do you think it would mess up your marriage, your work ethic, your character, your reliance on God, and the way you viewed things? Do you think it would change everything? I know this is a problem that we would all love to have, but I just wonder sometimes. Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

If anyone could go unscathed, it would be you and Cody :)

Amy said...

Wow. That's a big one. I have thought about this before, although I've never played the lottery so my chances aren't too good. My parents, however, see it as a real option which I feel can cause problems. I don't know how much they play anymore but they used to be pretty faithful. As for changing me? I think it would. I would have less worries. I would pay everything off for all of my family that I worry about on a regular basis.

Unknown said...

I'll have to think about whether it would change me or not for a little longer.

But, I can answer for someone else . . . there's a lady at my church who won the largest single lottery in Colorado history (I think it was $24 mill.) six years ago. She moved from the trailor park into an enormous, gigantuan, HUGE house. But it didn't change her tastes too much. She still wears dresses exclusively from Wal-Mart (seriously) and her entire house has maybe four pieces of furniture in it. The house is sparsely decorated with stuffed animals (i.e. - Winnie the Pooh and Micky Mouse) and dolls (the scary ones) - the same stuffed animals and dolls that used to be in her trailor home. There's also a lot of "doilies" pinned onto the walls.

She ultimately fulfilled her life-long dream and bought a limosine company.

Unknown said...

Good questions. I would like to think that if I won the lottery, I would use the money responsibly to help out the church, friends and family members; however, money can be a powerful thing. I guess I really don't have to worry as I have maybe played the lottery once since I was 18!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed