Saturday, January 07, 2006

Is Jesus really my best friend?

Last night I watched the premier of the show "The Book of Daniel". Lubbock news stations had all this controversy and hype about the show before it aired, so my mom, Carley, and I decided to watch it to see what we thought. The show is okay. Not the best show ever, I am not hooked, I wasn't offended, I wasn't really overcome by any emotion, it was just a TV show to me. I think it is risky whenever the entertainment industry tries to take on religion in any way. The main character is a priest who is addicted to Vicodin, his wife is an alcoholic, one son is gay, one is straight and having sex with a minor, and his daughter is arrested for selling drugs. The church secretary is a lesbian. Lots of things that we don't necessarily see at church on Sundays.

Two things stood out to me about the show.
1) Christianity is available to all. What we do with it, how we let it impact us, and our commitment level is up to us. God is there. He is available. The church should never claim to be perfect. The show does almost too good of a job at exemplifying the openness of the Lord. I am confident He does not approve of everything the show portrays, but I do believe that Christ died for all and that we all have the option of choosing to follow.

2) Jesus is priest Daniel's best friend. Jesus appears as a real character in the flesh. They laugh. They talk. Jesus listens. Daniel listens. Jesus warns Daniel about temptations. He encourages him during hard times. He is present in Daniel's life. Jesus is Daniel's best friend.

I have not been faithful lately at viewing Jesus as my friend, yet alone my best friend. There are so many different aspects of Jesus. The best friend is one of my favorites and I have not been pursuing that lately. He has been more of a quick IM buddy, or an old friend from long ago that I have been updating on my life, but not my best friend. Not the one who you share everything with and find joy in the relationship. There was a time when I really viewed Jesus as riding along in my passenger seat in the car or sitting across the table from me at a coffee shop. Now he seems long distance to me. I know that he is not the one who has distanced our relationship. I know he has not moved. I have put my priorities in the wrong order and let that relationship slip.

So the random show, "The Book of Daniel" definitely is not a religious blessing to me, but isn't it amazing how God can use little things to remind you about Him. Spend some time catching up with your best friend today.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I hear you! Last week at church someone was passing around a paper to encourage people to contact their local NBC affiliates and protest the show. I watched some of it last night and some of the local commentary as well. They all agreed that the show was not at all realistic. Really? I know Christians who struggle with homosexuality, drug & alcohol addictions, etc. and I know church leaders and members who ignore it. What's not realistic? Maybe we should stop organizing complaints and actually reach out to real people in our lives instead of protesting fictional tv shows. I do have to say that Jesus was funny, and judging by some things he does in my life, sometimes I think he's pretty funny too.

April Carrasco said...

Preach it sisters! Didn't watch it but it looks like I missed an interesting one. What if I was perfectly content with Jesus being my best friend and not always worried about what this world views as important. Lucky to have both of y'all as close friends!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Gosh, this one struck me hard. I didn't see the show, either, but Ashley, your post reminded me of where my priorities are. And they are not in the right place!

Alyssa said...

Dude...didn't you just have a baby last week? Good job having a coherant thought and making an interesting point on 4 hours sleep!!! Although I didn't watch the show, I am glad that it gave you an insight that brought you closer to God... and that you shared it with all of us :)

Amber Smith said...

Wow Ashley! I'm with Alyssa! I am surprised that you can think on such a deep level right now. You really made me think...

mcjacobsjournal said...

That is so funny, because I was about to comment the same thing as your sister...and Amber. I am so amazed by you right now! A new mommy who isn't sleeping, who is still able to think about her life, new deep television shows, and her relationship with Jesus. You are truly amazing...and thank you for inspiring all of us who have read this blog!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed