Monday, June 12, 2006

The Beauty of Friendships

You know sometimes you hear a quote and it just sticks in your mind. When I was a Junior in college a girl that I was in club with named Keely shared a quote that her mom used to say to her. It really stuck with me. Here is the quote:
"People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you will know exactly what to do".

I think of that quote often and blogging with you really makes it hit home for me. When I look at my list on the right hand column of friends, I can't help but laugh at the forty names! And I laugh because I became friends of yours in lots of different, random, but blessed ways. Of course there is my sister who had to befriend me because we shared a bed, a bathroom, and most significantly, parents. Then there are the people on the list that I know through her. You were her friends first, but somehow you became intrigued how two sisters can be so alike and different at the same time. Then you decided to care about me as a person and now, I consider you my friends as well.

Then there are the friends who I grew up with back in the day. Those who knew me when I had a perm and red Sally Jesse Raphael glasses or the years of teenagerness that followed. You might have been a neighbor on my street, a best friend in HS, a roommate at camp, a youth intern, or better yet, I was good friends with your older sibling so you had to like me because I was at your house all the time.

Then we go to college. On the list is my roommate my freshman year who ate pop corn and cool whip with me, my arch rival for Freshman Class Secretary, fellow members of the John Denver fan club, my roommate my Sophomore year who survived pledging with me, fellow camp counselors, former campers, my roommate my Junior year who let me sing with her at night, fellow Alto II's in Sing Song, surgeons, safari members, beetles, jailmates, chili peppers, and crayons (let's forget about Annie, okay) The lists could keep going forever. You were around for some big moments in my life and a time that reshaped me. I made a lot of mistakes, but came out a better person with lots of hilarious stories and special friends.

Then we move back to Lubbock where I reconnected with people on the above lists, and made some new amazing friends. Some of you shared in the time when Cody and I were meeting, dating, engaged, and newly weds. Some of you shared with me in hormones, pregnancy, domino pains, and adjusting to life with Carley. You have prayed for me and with me often and for some reason, you decide to stick around.

I love the list of bloggers. For whatever reason you are on the list and for whatever reason you decide to stay friends with me, I am thankful! The season of your frienship keeps growing and lasting longer than I deserve. Thanks for daily being in my journey.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that quote! Friendships are a blessing!! And like Summer said, I'm so glad that we've reconnected through the blog-world! I'm a regular reader of your entries and love hearing about you & your family!

Kristin said...

What a sweet post! I'm glad I know what "domino" pains are!!! :)

Jennifer K said...

Very sweet Post! On the note of domino....have you seen the new magazine called "Domino"...I think you might need to subscribe! :)

Unknown said...

Sweet post! It really is fun to keep up with people who you might not otherwise keep up with via blog. I have loved reconnecting with so many fun people including you! Love you!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I thought I'd be the first to comment on "domino pain", but Kristin and Jen beat me to it. I am blessed to know you, Ash!

Allison said...

I remember finding you through the whole ACU web of blogging and being sooo excited!!! I mean really you are the one and ONLY Ashley Core to me! Working camps all 4 summers of college was one of the best experiences ever, but my first summer working with you will always stand out! You made such an impact on me from day one, and I wanted to be a cool counselor just like Y O U! I am so glad that I get to see what is going on in your life now because of blogging! Those 40 people are blessed because they have you as a friend! LOVE YOU!

JG said...

Popcorn and cool whip is cool, man! Though I have to admit, I'm not sure why that sounded like so much fun at the time; I certainly haven't eaten out of a bowl of cool whip since then. We were so young then, it's hard to remember those days. We had fun though!

Amy said...

I love you! I had red glasses too.

Phillips Family said...

Blog Friends Rock!

Robby and Lynsey said...

I loved this post. And I love you, too. Thanks for always making my day with your posts and comments. I feel blessed to know you in my "own" way now ...not just because of older siblings!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed