Sunday, January 14, 2007

Book Reviews and family update

Since Thanksgiving I have had the opportunity to read some great books. Reading is a great mental get a way for me. If you are thinking of reading a new book, here are my reviews of some of the ones I have recently read. I would love any comments or thoughts on these books as well.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - WOW! This is an incredible story of love, grace, and redemption. I know it has been out for awhile. I really encourage you that if you haven't read this in a while or have never read it, you must do so. It will really touch your heart. It is loosely based on the biblical book of Hosea. This is truly an incredible book and one that I could do an entire post on individually.





Size 14 is Not Fat Either by Meg Cabot - This is the sequel to the book I blogged about last year called Size 12 is not Fat. It is a hilarious mystery about a former pop teen star who is the assistant director of a college dorm. It is really cute and a good read. Meg Cabot is such a great author of chick flicks in book form.


Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot - Meg does it again! This one is about a girl who can't keep her mouth shuts and always gets herself in hilarious situations. Amazingly to you out there, I can really relate to her! :) It is a cute love story and it has really humorous takes on the history of fashion as well.



The 5 People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom This book has been around for several years too. I had seen the TV movie a couple of times and was really touched my the storyline. One of my friends at work told me I needed to READ the story one afternoon. It really reminded me of impact and purpose here on earth. It is a quick read so take an afternoon and treat yourself.


Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. This is a steamy little story that has no value but is a really juicy and interesting read. It is a real page turner and very cute. There is a mystery involved and a nice story of personal growth on the part of the flawed heroine. Mostly it is a cute little steamy love story and an easy no brainer kind of read.


Any other books out there that you recommend?

Also, the big news on the Nelson front is that Carley hasn't had a bottle since Monday. She is fully on sippy cups and whole milk. She adjusted MUCH better than I thought she would. Since she isn't taking a bottle, she doesn't like to be rocked at bed time or nap time. She just wants her paci and Ellie Phant and to go lay down. I sure miss our cuddle time, but I am really enjoying her new independence. I know it will be a phase like all good and bad things in baby land are, but I am enjoying it. Oh, one more thing, her 5th tooth popped through. What happened to my little baby?

Hope you are having a warm and safe weekend.

10 comments:

Allison said...

Oh my goodness, Redeeming Love is one of the BEST books EVER! I read it last May when we were in Maui. I felt like a total bookworm because I would not take my face out of the book for a second. If we were driving, I was reading. Waiting to be seated at a restaurant, I was reading. It's one you can't put down. It really does change you.

Have you read her other book The Sacred Romance? It's another great one!

Nicole said...

OK girls, you are making me feel like I am not part of the book club here. :) I guess I'll have to check this little book out.

ASHLEY!!!!! I can't believe that you found me!!! I am SO glad. I had NO idea that you had a baby girl. Congratulations!!! I am going to have to go back and see what all you have been up to. I am going to add you to my bloglines RIGHT NOW!!!

Tiffany said...

I just finished the new Meg Cabot book, too and LOVED it...I need to read Queen of Babble next!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I've read two of Meg's books (Size 12 is not fat & Boy Meets Girl) and LOVED LOVED LOVED them both! I'll have to read more of hers! I've tried to get Redeeming Love from the library, but it's always checked out. I plan to read that one too!

Yay for Carley! I'm glad it was a smooth transition getting her off the bottle!

Robby and Lynsey said...

I read Five People over the break as well. It was really good!! I have to admit ... I cried at the end ... but I'm sure that isn't a surprise to anyone. :) hehe I might have to check out the others as well. Thanks for the hints.

Marcia said...

I LOVED Redeeming Love! I was so hooked on in when I was reading it that Matthew would find me right out of the shower, wrapped in a towel, sitting on the edge of the tub reading.

April Carrasco said...

I need to read some of these books, I have heard great things about them!!

hejlyeah said...

Don't they grow up just way too fast? She's just precious.

Not really reading any interesting books lately, but I wish I was. Thanks for the recommendations!

Way to go on the bottle/sippy cup/milk switch! That was pretty hard for Cooper, but we made it through. Now, if I could just get rid of the paci!

Lisa Renee said...

How do you do it all??? I have not read a book since I have had kids. You work full time, wife and mother, read, AND DVR??? What is your secret? I barely stay above water- I guess I am just a sad case. I know what you mean about the bitter-sweetness of milestones in your baby's life! I cried today after boxing up the latest outgrown clothes and rocked her for thirty minutes although she prefers going straight to bed!

Kristin said...

You know how I feel about Redeeming Love...I LOVED it! I finished reading the whole thing in one day!! And I have got to get you The Scarlett Thread, it's almost as good!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed