Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow

I don't really have anything important to blog about so I'll throw out two things in my life.

1. I have stopped DVRing Days of Our Lives. I have been an AVID Days fan since pretty much birth and have taped it since Jr. High. After almost 29 years, I am cutting it out. I am just bored with it right now and there are other things that I need to do more that sit for 40 minutes and catch up with Salem. I am sure I will watch it again this summer when I am home, but in the mean time, good bye to the Bradys, Hortons, Blacks, and DiMeras.

2. Carley has separation anxiety. It mostly seems to happen at church, but she goes ballistic when I leave her, leave the room, set her down, someone tries to hold her, etc. It kills me. I started noticing about a month ago at her buddy's birthday party when she wouldn't go to other people. I thought that it was just because she was tired. Then it happened again at the church nursery. I thought it was just because I was teaching her class. Now it is when anyone at church tries to pick her up or I leave for a second. It just breaks my heart. Sunday was really bad. At growth group that night she did much better, but it was still hard. Monday she had a fever so it could have just been she is not feeling good, but it breaks my heart. She is such a sweet and loving baby and she is super talkative and playful....on her own terms. At least she doesn't cry at child care or with my family. If any of you have separation anxiety tips, please send more this way.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

Good luck breaking your Days addiction. I had to break mine in law school. I never watch it now because it would only take a couple of episodes and I would be addicted again.

I hate separation anxiety. It is just as hard on the mom and dad as baby. She will outgrow it. Sorry I don't have any advice!

Wendy said...

If you have any luck with finding tips on separation anxiety, share 'em with me! Casen cries every time I leave him at Mother's Day Out, and about half the time at the church nursery, and (specially if he's tired) a lot of times when I leave the room or set him down after holding him for awhile. So tough! I hope it won't last too long.

Unknown said...

I go through cycles with Days. I seem to watch it more in the summer, then forget about it for the rest of the year. It is always SO easy to pick the story back up!

I don't have any tips for the separation anxiety. Jackson doesn't really have much separation anxiety - just occasionally. I hope it all gets better!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Look at the bright side...it's just because she loves you SO much! How cool is that?!

Allison said...

Hudson went thru it. It was horrible, and made me sick over it. I would drop him off in the nursery and he would grab my legs and hold on for dear life. It did finally stop. He now RUNS to "Bible Cass" as he says. I was told to just be consistent in taking him and dropping him off. We would go in the nursery with him and play for a second then sneak off. That helped me because I hated leaving him crying. But honestly the caretakers would tell me that once I was gone he would get distracted and be great. Out of sight out of mind, I guess.

I really am sorry. It was such a tough phase. I hope she grows out of it quick!!

As for days...I too am burned out. I can watch an episode in 15 minutes these days because I am just fast forwarding thru the whole show.

Nicole said...

I have been over Days for a while now. It just has gotten old for me.

SA is SO hard to go through, but they ALL go through it. It is such a normal thing and I know that is not so comforting, but it does help to know that is does happen and will pass. Just be consistent. The longer you linger, the worse it will be and the longer it will last. You have to let her know that you are leaving and coming back to get her. If you linger or come back after tons of crying, you are teaching her that THAT is what gets you to come back. Talk to her lots before about it and do exactly what you say you are going to do. Good luck. I know that it is a hard phase. IT WILL PASS THOUGH!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any separation anxiety tips, but I'm sure even if you don't watch Days for months it will be like only a day has passed.

Ash - I read your blog a lot, but I guess I don't comment all that often. I don't know if the word has gotten around throught the grapevine, but Matt and I are having a baby at the beginning of August! Just wanted to share that...I guess I should take to heart all the tips on here about the separation issue. Anyway, it's always great to see pics of your sweet girl and hear what's going on with you. Take care!

Phillips Family said...

Isaac is the King of Separation Anxiety---he even has it sometimes if I leave him home with Tobe. Silly kid. It is tough and it breaks my heart for him to cry, but I figure i would rather him cry now when he is a toddler than in Elementary School. He was crying so loud last week at church we heard him in the auditorium. Nice. Hang in there---kids figure out that they can guilt their parents into things really early on. Carley is a tough cookie who just really loves her mom a lot right now!

I have a theroy that you can watch DOOL four times a year and completely know what is going on!

Jodi said...

We are already going through a little of that SA phase... made me feel better after reading all of these comments! If you discover a cure, fill me in! :) Hang in there! As for Days, I can't believe you finally did it. Congrats. I like the 4 times a year thing... so true!

The Steffens said...

Britten just started this too. It must be the age. It always is hard to leave a room when your baby is screaming MOMMY NO BYE BYE! I am sure it will get better. Before we know it they are going to be pushing us out of the room!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed