Thursday, July 12, 2007

Reviews from the Book Nerd

A friend at work always uses the quote, "A Good Book is a Good Friend". I find that to be true. I have read some really great books lately that have really touched my heart. The conversations in the books seemed so real and it really made the characters come alive to me.

If you have not read the books of the "Redemption" Series by Karen Kingsbury (and Gary Smalley) you really need to do it. There are 5 books in the series, Redemption, Remember, Return, Rejoice, and Reunion. They are an incredible story of how God works in the lives of a Christian family with 5 adult children. You seem them struggle and doubt God and their relationship grow and then be tested again. It has been a real testimony to me of God's faithfulness and they way he works. You just have to read them! (Of course there are great love stories in them as well, which always fires me up!)

I also read "Pants On Fire" which is by Meg Cabot and it is an excellent teen chick book. It is about this high school girl who can not stop her self from kissing all these boys. It is so funny. It definitely will not work on your heart, like the Redemption Series, but it is super cute and a great book that will make you laugh.

Those are the books I have read and the last is a the book I am just reading chapter by chapter. It is called "Life On the Vine" by Phillip Kenneson. It is the book our church is doing it's lessons and sermons on each week. It is about the fruits of the spirit. It has been a really good and powerful book. The part that really strikes me when I read it is that we are known by our fruit. No matter how nice we are, no matter how much you pray, no matter what you do, if the Holy Spirit is not able to grow love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self control inside of you and if you are not producing these things, then the other stuff doesn't matter. It is a great book to read if you are looking for something to challenge you. There isn't a love story in it so I can't go on and on about it too much.

I am very excited about the book I will be starting next Saturday.....Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Book 7! I know I am a Harry Potter geek. I freely admit it. I am totally a nerd and emotionally invested in the story lines and what will happen to my Hogwarts friends. I will say, I think Harry will live. I think he and Ginny will get back together at the end. I think Hermione and Ron will hook up. I think that good will triumph over evil. I think that one of the Horcruxes is at Grumauld Place, one is at Hogwarts, and one is at his mother's home. I do not think Harry is a horcrux. I think he will think he is though for much of the book. Umm, I guess that is it. I can't wait.

So go find a new friend and start a book! :)

3 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

ashley, have you read the others in the The Baxter Family Series, they are all fantastic.

Click on my blog-go to "good reads" link on left and you will see all of them listed there. It is a great place to share great reads with your friends

Hope you are enjoying summer!

Unknown said...

Based on your recommendation from a long time ago, I recently read "Size 12 is Not Fat" and "Size 14 Isn't Fat Either." I loved both books and have now started "Babblemouth." Meg Cabot is one funny author! I also read all three books written by a woman named Emily Giffin. I liked them, so if you hit a slump, you should read her books!

angie c said...

I just read Meg Cabot's Every Boy's Got One and now I'm obsessed. She's so funny! I've now read Boy Meets Girl and am working on Babblemouth. Love her.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed