Friday, February 22, 2008

Signing Time

"There's singing time, and dancing time, and laughing time, and playing time, and now it is our favorite time, Signing Time."

If you have kids, and you do not currently watch Signing Time, you need to do so. I am so serious! Signing Time is a TV show that airs once a week on PBS. (In Lubbock it is on Sunday mornings at 8:30) This show is so good. It is hosted by Rachel, her daughter Leah (who is deaf), and her nephew, Alex. Rachel and her family write all the songs and come up with the most creative ways to teach letters, numbers, and words. Carley LOVES this show. It is her favorite. It it totally educational. Cody and I are hooked on it too. Not only have we both learned lots of signs and songs, but Carley has also learned lots of concepts (seasons, colors, rooms in the house) too. Alyssa and I learned sign language when we were in the 5th grade at our elementary school. Then Alyssa went on to take some college courses for her Speech Path major. It is a neat and fun language to know about and to share with others. Cody loves it now too. Even my dad came over and watched it one afternoon and was enthralled and started practicing. It is a very family friendly 25 minutes on TV.

When I first heard about it, it was from Cody's sister-in-law. She said it was the only show that all of her kids liked. (She had 4 kids at the time). I was doubtful until I watched it. We are all believers now.

If you or your kids watch Singing Time, please back me up here. You know you watch it and you know you love it. Give Singing Time a try and let me know what you think!

11 comments:

Jodi said...

Folks at church talk about that show all the time, but I have never actually watched it. Guess I'll have to set the ole DVR and give it the ole college try. :)

Amy said...

You know we love it!

cmjj said...

I totally agree. My kids love it too. Jordan walks around all the time showing me signs that she knows. She reminds me they are from "that signing show". Yea!!! Fun kid stuff!!!!!

Jennifer K said...

We watch it! It is saved constantly on our TIVO.

The M Family said...

ooo! thanks for the recommendation, ashley! i'll have to get online at pbs to find our local time and day but it seems to be worth it!

Kristen OQ said...

Just set it up in our DVR to record in the morning! Thanks for the tip -- Alyssa had told me how much Lauren liked it!

Kelli Marchbanks said...

We love Signing Time! Garrett has started doing some sign language, and I love learning new signs from the show to teach him.

Alyssa said...

You know we are your converts... :) Thanks for the awesome tip- Lauren's favorite is the color episode.

April Carrasco said...

I have got to watch this. I have hear y'all talk about it but have yet to see it!

Me said...

We have watched Signing Time longer than it has been on PBS! When my boys were 5 months old, my Mom and I stumbled upon the Signing Time website and ordered the first two "Baby Signing Time" videos, books, and CDs. Palmer and Harrison have loved them for 2 years. We met Rachel and Hopkins at the Houston Children's Festival and took a picture with her. I have marveled at the boys' vocabulary growth each time we watch a new episode. This is near and dear to my heart as Harrison is deaf in one ear... we knew we wanted to sign and speak with him, and Signing Time has been a blessing to our family!

Sara said...

With all these rave reviews, I guess we will just HAVE to start recording it too! Thanks for telling us about it!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed