Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spring Break and Easter

This week was a wonderful week at the Nelson home. It was Spring Break. In our home, that means NINE whole mornings without alarm clocks. It was blissful. In all honesty, we did nothing. It was perfect.

Here are some highlights from our week:

Saturday, Cody and I took Carley to the movie to see Horton Hears a Who. It was her first time in a real theater since she was a tiny baby. She loved the sprite and popcorn and thought she was something special. She made it through about half of the movie, but talks big about it. It was a cute memory.

Sunday was a normal church day. That afternoon I got a pedicure and then that night we had Growth Group. We love our Growth Group so much. The couples in there are so sweet and have shown a genuine love and compassion for our family. We are blessed by these couples who are in different stages of life from us that are always caring and ready to show us the ropes.

Monday Carley and I spent the entire doing nothing. Other than a trip to Walmart we stayed at home and played and played. It was wonderful and so relaxing.

Tuesday we drove to the big town of Lamesa to meet our friends Mark and Tara for dinner at KBobs. They were in from Fort Worth in Midland working so it was the perfect meeting spot. I am always thankful for the opportunity to see them. The 45 minute treck to Lamesa was the farthest we went all holiday. Oh, I also got a hair cut that afternoon.
chilling with Dad

Wednesday was a family day at home. Carley and I made omelettes for Cody and we all spent the morning in our pjs. That afternoon we had Carley's pictures made. It was a crazy process, but the picts are great. I'll post when I get them in. That night we went to church. When we were walking in, Carley fell and hit her head on the brick floor in the basement. She got a HUGE purple goose egg. Both Cody and I were scared more than she was. It is amazing how quickly kids can fall and hurt themselves. After we realized she was just fine, I was secretly thankful that the bump happened AFTER Easter pictures. :)

Thursday, the extent of our activity was walk to the park, watering the grass, blowing bubbles, and coloring. You can see the bruise in the picture below.



Friday we met my parents for breakfast at IHOP. They have the cutest Dr. Suess breakfast there in honor of Horton. It is green eggs and ham and then Whoville pancakes with a sucker in them. Carley and I thought they were great. Then we went to see Cody at the station. On Thursday night Cody saved a dog with mouth to snout CPR. The owners were so thankful. We went to the station to tell him congrats and to listen to the other guys tease him and praise him. It was so funny.

This weekend was more family time. We are so thankful for Carley. Cody and I have had lots of conversations in the past month about how blessed we are and how thankful we are for her. Life and plans have no guarantees, so we are thankful for TODAY and for her.

Easter was a cold day here. Church was really good and then lesson was really powerful. We are thankful for this LORD's Day especially and to take the time to really focus on the Resurrection that gave us all life.

My parents came over for lunch. This was my first big holiday meal to cook. It was so fun. I made this sunflower peep cake that I saw in Taste of Home magazine. Mine fell far in comparison with theirs, but it was still cute. The Easter Bunny left the eggs inside because it was so cold. He also left Carley a swing that matches the Bed and Stroller that Santa gave her and the diaper bag and kick gym that Cupid gave her. Those magical creatures sure work together well!

Hope your week was wonderful too. Happy Easter!

17 comments:

Kelli said...

Sounds like a great Spring Break! Carley is so cute! I'm glad y'all enjoyed your time off so much. Have a great first few days back - isn't weird what a difference a week makes?

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad y'all had a nice and relaxing Spring Break. I hope that Carley's bump is healing nicely and that Cody washed his mouth out with soap. I miss y'all and can't wait to see you again soon!

Alyssa said...

Love the Peeps Cake... but then- you knew I would! Kiss Carley's little boo-boo for me!

Erica said...

Sounds like you made the most of your Spring Break while still managing to have some down time. My girls are wanting to go to IHOP for the Horton menu but I have not braved that one yet...maybe next week.
Also I love your family picture at the bottom of your post...what a beautiful family you are with even more beauty on the inside. Happy easter and Spring!

summer said...

That picture of Carley on the doorstep may be my favorite one ever. Call me crazy, but I love it. Happy Spring!

Jennifer said...

What a great time just being with the ones you love! I love Carley's litte up do, too cute.

Amy said...

So glad for your fun spring break. I missed y'all!

cmjj said...

What a wonderful week!! I am so glad you enjoyed it. Carley is so lucky to have you for a mommy!!! Again, she is absolutely adorable. Actually, she is just plain gorgeous! Her hair is precious. And I agree with Summer, the pic by the door is really good. We will be in Lubbock tomorrow. I will call you and maybe we can go get a Coke or something!!!!! Love you friend!

Jodi said...

I love this post! I just soaked in every picture and every word. :) Your sweet family is such a blessing! Glad you had such a wonderful week ending in a wonderful Easter! Love ya'll!

PS. Was it weird to kiss Cody the first time after the dog rescue? I mean, way to go dude, but kinda weirds me out too! :) :) :)

Dana said...

I'm so glad ya'll had a great break. Work was hard to go back to today. I am so proud of Cody for saving that dog!
Your hair looks cute!

Caroline said...

What a lovely family Easter picture. You all look wonderful. Carley is beautiful! Your cake is great too! I'm very impressed!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys had such a fun Spring Break! We took Jackson to see Horton also. He seemed to like it and lasted the entire movie, but like Carly, he thoroughly enjoyed the popcorn and Sprite! The Whoville pancakes look a little nasty to me.

As a dog lover, Cody just earned a whole lot of respect from me!

Hope Carly's little bump and bruise feels better soon. I would have felt the same way you did about being happy the pictures were already taken! Can't wait to see them!

Jennifer K said...

Y'all had a busy week! I am glad we got a little bit of A&C time too! I am impressed you had the family over. That is a big deal! Cody and dog thing--wow. That made me laugh! All in a days work I guess!

Sara said...

Wow what a great post with lots of pics!
Marli got a goosegg about a week ago too, I immediately put ice on it and kept it there and it disappeared pretty quick. And I'm talkin' this thing was HUGE to begin with. Kinda worrying.
Glad you had a full 7 days with no alarm! That rocks!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I just LOVE her big girl ponytail on Easter. Taylor talks about her friend Carley quite often...she loves her! The cake turned out AWESOME!

Amy said...

sounds like a great week to me!! i miss seeing you!

*Kendra* said...

The cake looked great! C is sooo big and such a cutie pie!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed