Sunday, January 24, 2010

Random Thoughts and Updates for the week

1. RSV - I totally underestimated how sad RSV is. I always knew it was a horrible cough, but I had no idea how horrible. Corey was sick all week and it was SO sad. He couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't get comfortable, couldn't breathe, anything. We had a couple of scares this week. One was when is blood oxygen level dropped. He had to get chest x-rays because they thought he had pneumonia. Long story short, Corey is better and I am SO very thankful. We all forget how quickly babies can go from healthy to sick! We spent much of the week rocking in the recliner and in pajamas. Every day when Carley came home from school, she would run in and see if she could put on her pjs yet. That's my girl!
2. Baby Food- So far Corey does not like cereal, green beans, or peas. Carley loved it all from the beginning. In fact green beans and peas were her VERY favorite baby foods. I am hoping he gets the hang of eating from a spoon.

3. Carley got a black eye at school. She was on the skate floor and a boy accidentally ran into her eye with his handle bar. She has had quite the commentary on it all this week. We are glad she is okay. She is a funny kid.
4. Right now Carley and I are trying to help eachother to better. I am working on not getting frustrated and she is working on obeying. As you can imagine hers leads to mine :) Really I am trying to be honest with her that it is not easy for me to keep cool all the time, but that I know it is the right thing to do, even when I don't want to do it. Neither of my parents nor my sister has my quick frustration level. I see signs of it in Carley so I want to help her deal with it and let her know it is tough. Isn't it hard when we see our own weaknesses in our kids? As for her, she really doesn't want to obey right now. She think she is right and her time line is accurate. She doesn't want to disobey, she just thinks she knows better. Can't wait for her teen years! :)

5. We are starting a 5 week parenting session at church. The theme is passing on your faith to your children. I am really excited about it. Today's was excellent.

6. My parents had extra tickets to the "Wizard of Oz" musical that came to Lubbock. Carley, Corey, and I went with them (Cody was working) and had a BLAST! Carley loved it. She was SO good for it. She had seen the movie a couple of times so she knew a little. She really got into it. Watching her sit between my parents, wide-eyed and mesmerized, is something I will never forget. (You can still see her shiner in the picture. This is 4 days later!)7. I am making a pledge to seriously not text, email, or facebook while driving. I am pretty good about 90% of the time, but I often find myself reading these at read lights or empty roads. I know it is an accident waiting to happen. I have no idea why it is SO addicting to check my blackberry. SO if you see me doing this while driving, hold me accountable to doing better.

Do you text while driving? Are you convicted about this issue? What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that RSV is so sad! Jackson never got it, but Everett did when he was about the same age as Corey. It was SO sad! I'm glad he is better! I can relate on the frustration/obeying thing. Good to know I'm not alone!

The Stanford Family said...

I am so glad that Corey is better!

Amy said...

Yay for Corey being better! Sick babies are the saddest! It's funny that you mention your furstration conversation with Carley -- I've been going through the same with Charlie. They're at such a fun and great age to get to start talking about real things though. They're amazing! As for texting while driving, it's now illegal in Virginia and I still catch myself checking texts at red lights. It's a hard habit to break.

Allison said...

I watched that Oprah show on Monday. I thought it was so great that she showed it and I hope it really did change people's lives.

I don't text while driving. It still blows my mind that people are actually coordinated enough to do that. What is scary to me is that early drivers are scary enough, but an early driver who TEXTS...even scarier!! There need to be serious laws about that and serious consequences! Like equivalent to a DWI.

I was really convicted about just talking on the phone in general while driving. I never think one thing about it, but now I will. Those conversations can wait.

What one lady said that really stuck with me was that it doesn't matter where your hands are, it matters where your head is...and talking on the phone can often send you off to lala land while driving.

I saved the show for Matt to watch. He is guilty of working while driving. I told him I would rather him work later than work while driving.

I hope that show changed a lot of peoples hearts. I know I was convicted!!

Kelli said...

Your babies are so cute! I'm glad Corey is feeling better, and I think it is so cool that you are working and sharing with Carley. That is the Lord's wisdom, girl!

As for texting, yes I am very convicted about it, but I also drive in a much bigger place every day. For one, texting is finishing off the grammar/spelling that IM-ing was killing. :) For another, I cannot count the number of times I have almost been hit by someone b/c they were texting. Joe Dan actually saw someone HIT the barrier on the tollway (70 mph), and CONTINUE texting! It is ridiculous here. They say texting while driving is equivalent to driving drunk, and I think that is pretty accurate. That being said, I refuse to even have texting on my phone, but I think I'm the only one on earth who doesn't. :)

Tara said...

So glad that Corey is feeling better!

cmjj said...

No, I do not text while I am driving...there is a "hands free driving" law in Jersey. But I will admit, I have sent a text before while driving, but just because I thought it was really important!

So, so glad sweet Corey is better...how scary and hard it is to see your children so sick!

Mauri said...

So glad Corey is better! And poor little Carley with her black eye. But it is kinda cute that she looks all tough at the ripe age of 4! :)

And no texting while driving for me. I have enough trouble as it is! :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed