Sunday, January 10, 2010

What I have been reading

I have read several books over the Christmas break and into January. I had taken a break from reading for a few months, and now it is really good to be back.

Several of my friends tease me for reading so much or ask how I had time for books. This is a quick story about how I became an adult book nerd. In 2000, I made my new year's resolution to read one book a month. I was graduating college and unsure about what all life held. I realized it had been a LONG time since I had read a book that I picked. I read a lot in high school and in college, but almost all of them were books that I read for assignment or text books. Nothing fun about either of those. So I decided to start reading SOMETHING, ANYTHING for a year. The books didn't have to be long, but I just had to complete one a month. Fast forward 10 years later and here I am, still reading. It was a great new year's and new decade resolution and I highly recommend for you to take it on as well.

Okay, so here is what I read. The first book I read was "At First Sight" by Nicholas Sparks. It was really good....very much like his other books: sweet, romantic, and sad.
Then I found a new author that I really like right now. Her name is Debbie Macomber. Her books have all been delightful, VERY lighthearted and easy reads. I can finish them in a few hours. They are all sweet, romantic, and fun. They are a lot like Lifetime TV movies in book form. I really do like her. My friend, Joy, started sharing her books with me as well and I have not been able to stop reading her stuff. These are the books I have read over the past month that are hers
Sooner or Later
A Perfect Christmas
Fairy Tale Weddings (this one had 2 books in it: Some Kind of Wonderful and Cindy and the Prince)
Angels Everywhere (this one also had 2 books in it: A Season of Angles, Touched by Angels)
Mrs. Miracle
When Christmas Comes

That is right, I have read NINE books in the past month.
What have you been reading? Have you read Debbie Macomber? Any takers on adopting my new year's resolution from 2000?

7 comments:

Spotted-Bird said...

I just started Committed. It is the next book after Eat, Pray, Love. I loved that book and have been waiting for her next book. I hope it is as good.

annalee said...

shut up! i just told evan my only goals for this year are to read all the new testament and read one other book a month. i'm starting with two from galilee. i love how long you've been doing this!

cmjj said...

I have read the first two books in Francine River's series about women in the Bible, they are Hagar and Rahab, Ruth is next. I am also re-reading Sense and Sensibility and loving every minute of it! I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn a few months ago and it was awesome! I am thinking about Angels and Demons because Mom says it is really good. I have read Two from Galilee, Three from Galilee and The Messiah and they were incredible, definitely something I will read again!! Happy reading!

Trent and Mindy said...

I have really enjoyed the Francine River's series that cmjj mentioned. I have finished Rahab and working on Tamar. My fav book of all time is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. If you haven't read it, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, I hope to read Green by Ted Dekker, the newest addition to his awesome Black, Red, White series. You are inspiring me to sick with reading...it's so much better than watching TV!

bethany said...

Wow! I am impressed! I just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society and am now reading Water for Elephants. I too am a total nerd when it comes to reading and feel lost if I am not in the middle of some exciting book=)
Keep posting good book recommendations! I am always looking for hew books!

Tiffany said...

I have read 16 books since Thanksgiving!!! I kind of hate to put that out there, cause it really makes it clear that I don't have a life:) And now you know why I haven't updated my blog! And maybe why I'm a hermit...and the list could go on...but I'll stop while I'm ahead! I go in phases, and when this one's done, I probably won't read a book for another year!

Shanta said...

I just started reading Harry Potter. I dedicate this effort to you. I'm on #3. I love you and all your reading!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed